Securing a job offer in these tumultuous times

Hello Campers,

First of all, I would like to give you a little bit of background information about me. I graduated in May 2020 with a bachelor’s in CS. However, I did not have any internships. To compensate for the lack of this, I have managed to obtain four certificates from FCC so far (responsive web design, data structures and algorithms in JS, front end libraries, and data visualization). I am currently working on the courses “APIs and Microservices” and the one that involves quality assurance.

Much to my dismay, I have found that many companies are not hiring entry-level software engineers. I even took a break from applying to places (so I could focus on FCC), but alas, many companies do not want recent college graduates to be unemployed for too long. At the same time, the world is getting ravaged by the coronavirus pandemic, so they should be understanding as well.

You see, this is a bit of a catch-22 situation. In light of all of these details, what should I do?

My advice is to study things at the same time as applying for jobs. What works for me is to not apply to jobs every day, because that is a bit tiresome. Allocate some time in the day dedicated to either studying, doing portfolio work, or doing whiteboard exercises. Then maybe one or two days a week, apply to “software engineer” or “web developer” jobs. I personally find linkedin to be a better job board than indeed, so the job board you use might matter at your location.

Many companies have had to reduce hiring or even lay people off due to the economic impacts of COVID-19. Businesses are still hiring though, so keep applying. Hiring for new college graduates comes in waves, the biggest is usually in November (hiring Seniors before they graduate), but it doesn’t drop off sharply.

As you are a recent graduate, I suggest that you reach out to the career center at your university and work with the staff there. You can still use the university recruitment connections.

Hi @acm97!

I agree with other comments.

You could also post a copy of your resume here in the forum and have people give you some feedback.

I think it is a wrong catch-22, because you are talking about “the companies” and “the entry-level devs”.

Instead of thinking about the average company, you should search for the not-average companies - the ones that hire. There are some fields that have a lot of lay-offs, that’s correct - tourist stuff, hotels etc. You hear a lot about them. There are some fields that hire a lot of people - food delivery, e-commerce, logistics etc. You hear nothing about them.

Instead of thinking about the average entry-level dev, you should become a not-average entry-level dev - the one who is employable.

3 Likes