Seeking Career Change Advice

Hey Jeremy, thanks for the reply and the kudos. I wasn’t expecting my current level or past projects to get me any sort of accolades here, but it does make me feel good and helps put things into perspective a bit.

I do have an idea for a project that involves my job, a gamified training simulator, but its a bit beyond my current abilities. It would either take advanced stuff in canvas, or I could just make it a standalone program by using something like Unity which seems like a better fit in this case. I don’t know Unity though, so that’s moving to a different language and platform for awhile, which I wouldn’t mind since I have other ideas for projects there down the road. What stops me from shifting over is that I also feel pretty close to being able to work on some web site ideas that I have and have some guilt about abandoning them for awhile to work on this other project.

I like to daydream about finishing that training simulator, walking it into the office at my job and blowing their socks off to the point where they offer to let me work on that type of thing on the clock, but it feels like a pipe dream. The most likely outcome is that it ends up being something else on the portfolio. Without overtime I’m able to work on my studies for about 4 hours a day on average, so to switch over and build that would take at least a couple of weeks, I don’t know if that’s the wisest use of my time.

Your post here struck a chord with me on this. I found it only a couple minutes ago after checking your post history to get a sense of who I’m talking to. That thread was about just giving up, which I can’t really see doing, but you said in your reply about how one’s expectations put a pressure on the learning process… and man do I feel that. This stuff is always grinding away in the back of my head and it feels like any time I’m not working on it is wasted, then even when I am working on it I always feel like I’m not moving fast enough. A feeling I know is not healthy and I’ve tried to shake it off, but it’s sticky.