Self teaching while cognitively impaired?

Hello everyone!

I have been trying to teach myself the basics (HTML/CSS) but I’m finding it really difficult due to the fact that my memory doesn’t work very well.

It’s hard for me to learn something new, and recalling that information just a few days later is almost impossible. I have to look up everything all over again.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Is there anything I can do to help myself?

TIA.

Hello~!

To be honest, I still google a lot of things. It’s less important to remember the syntax, and more important to remember the concept. Knowing why the code works will get you farther than just knowing how to use a specific element. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like @nhcarrigan said, coding is not something you memorize. You can (and should!) look up references as you work on code.

1 Like
  • Google will always be available to you. Learning how to find and comprehend information quickly is a vital skill.
  • This is a question that is asked very often with people who are neurotypical, because there is a lot of information to take in and people feel overwhelmed when they can’t remember it all. I’ll say to you what I say to them: focus on understanding the content, not memorizing it.
  • Learning to program is more similar to learning a language or learning a skill than learning about a subject. Over and over again you figure out how to do the same or similar things until you’re just… used to it.
  • If you can learn to read and write, you can learn to program. Some parts of the learning process may go slower or feel more frustrating, but that’s fine. Faster isn’t better. Sometimes it’s worse.
2 Likes

I have learned HTML/CSS from Devslopes.com and these guys are really awesome.
here’s the link :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EceJQ05KTf4&list=PLwoh6bBAszPrES-EOajos_E9gvRbL27wz
and watch only HTML and CSS part