Should I know this by now? Or am i not there yet?

I am at the beginner portfolio project and I’m trying to add this:
https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_js_topnav_responsive.asp
I feel this is to complicated. Am i just stupid or is this to far ahead of me. I don’t understand this. But I saw other campers with this feature on their portfolio so now i feel like i should know this. :sob:

Yes, you are stupid, you are the first person here to ever be confused on the first projects. Oh, no, wait, it’s the exact opposite of that. Yes, the vast majority of us felt exactly like you do now. It is not a sign of stupidity, but of an inquisitive mind. That is good.

The FCC curriculum, while being wonderful, is far from comprehensive. In some ways this is a good thing - in the real world, the boss isn’t going to hand you a tutorial on how to build it. You’re just going to have to figure it out. You can’t prelearn everything because there is too much and it keeps changing anyway.

So, take a deep breath and do your best. If you get stuck, google it. If you can’t find a satisfactory answer, ask us. Keep the question narrow and specific. Post your code (or even better, link to a pen). Tell us what you want it to do and what it is doing instead. The more narrow and specific the question and the better explained, the better answers you’ll get in terms of quantity and quality.

So relax. Confusion is normal. This is part of learning.

I’d also add that on your first projects, you don’t need every feature. Don’t get paralyzed with fear that it isn’t good enough. Make it look good and function well, meeting the user stories. You can always go back and redo it when you know more about what you’re doing. As the old saying goes, don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. In the beginning, sometimes “good enough for now” is better.

5 Likes

I know the feeling. I remember getting to the portfolio page project, seeing others with this and then getting overwhelmed when I tried to implement it.

What I did was, take the code it mentions on the w2schools site, implement it into a test page and then tweak it so I could see what my changes did. From there, I was able to build an understanding of which elements and attributes did what.

It took me the best part of a few hours (spread over a few days) to get my head around it but once I got it, the sense of achievement was huge.

The thing to remember is that, there will be aspects of the projects you haven’t been shown yet. Not knowing how to do them doesn’t mean you are stupid or anything like that, it simply means you have an opportunity to do outside research and, the fun part, experiment with code to expand your knowledge. Keep going with it, test it out, don’t worry about failing or code not working because that is part of the process. You will get there.