Should I learn Angularjs to complete backend cerificate's dynamic web application?

Wow a lot of “passion” in this thread. The question if one should learn technology X or Y is always very confusing, especially for someone who is just getting started.
Ideally you want to create a toy app with a few technologies (React, Angular, Ember, Vue, etc) and see what you like more! Here is a good way to start: http://todomvc.com/
This website has nice tutorials building ToDo app in many different frameworks.

I think the boring answer is that “it does not matter”. Choose whatever you want and try to understand it to the best of your ability. Likely, once you get a job, you will have to adapt to a new stack and new technologies very quickly. Having familiarity with frameworks is great and I would urge you to pitch yourself to employers as “someone who has super power in learning new things quickly and being productive” instead of “I know React because I built Simon Game with it”. Just a thought.

Conversation which one has more jobs, is likely irrelevant. There are more jobs where jQuery is needed than React, for perspective.

4 Likes

@anon52159105 I don’t think you should make unsubstantiated claims like that. Angular and React are both widely used. Each has it’s own pros and cons, and it’s not wise to advise people to choose one over the other just you think it’s “losing popularity”.

Instead, let them review both frameworks and proceed with whatever they find best.

Here’s one statistic that clearly shows what the popularity is - https://www.indeed.com/jobtrends/q-Angular-q-Angularjs-q-Reactjs.html

I hope you refrain from making such biased posts in future.

2 Likes

I doubt there is a single person in the entire world who is experienced enough in latest Angular and latest React to make an informed comparison of the two frameworks - both are in active development - both are popular - both have strong technical merit - both have strong vested interests backing them

As for jobs - anyone really experienced in Angular or React would have no problem being considered for jobs requiring the other framework - you can safely pick one or the other for now to develop advanced skills in web development that should remain in demand in the near future

2 Likes

I never said angular wasn’t used - I said it’s losing popularity- I also backed the information with statistics from a survey of a few thousand developers.

Good points :slight_smile:

A survey asked developers which frameworks they like and then statistics were added up. It’s backed up with public statistics from a survey any developer can take.

the original curriculum had some angular stuff you could take… the was back when fCC was a linkfarm to other course, before the good people and volunteers here built their own…

There was a great article posted in the medium publication with fancy shmancey pics from Gangs of New York that made me go watch that movie again. that talked about the benefits of React vs Angular.

Most of the projects suggest you can use whatever library works for you as long as you meet the use/test cases… although there seemed to be a strong leaning towards react.

I have heard the original idea with the new curriculum was to make it more library and framework agnostic, but I haven’t checked out the new material enough yet.