Should I read books about web development?

I mean, I can find everything on the internet right so is there a gain on reading a book? If yes, what would you recommend?

Hi @Porphyrogennitos !

Books, articles, and videos all delivery the same content just in a different form.

It really is a matter of learning preference.
Some people will read books, others will watch videos.

It boils down to personal preference.

John Ducket’s books are good for the basics.
Since they are older it won’t cover things like es6 but it does a good job with the basics.

2 Likes

“Pragmatic programmer” by David Thomas and Andrew Hunt.

1 Like

There are a number of disadvantages of learning from a book. For example, as said above, they can get outdated with no hope of getting updated unless you buy a newer version.

Yes you can learn the same knowledge online, but the physical approach of a book can be helpful to some people.

Probably the best reason is you can decorate your shelf, and always have a “snapshot” of a set of knowledge if you ever wanted to refer to it. Odds are you wont open the book too often after your initial read, but as these are usually useful for reference, they can have their own “nuggets” that can be useful down the line.

Its really up to you though :slight_smile:

(I have no web development specific books to recommend, most of the books I do own are on theory, and software development)

1 Like

Please recommends us books on theory and software development, then? :slight_smile:

My two books I recommend for anyone getting into software development would be:

CODE: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware which is a book that gently guides you on how a computer works. This will take you from the lowest possible level, which is the electrical signals itself, to the physical hardware where the software is being ran. I’d consider it a great way to understand the lowest levels of computers, in that vein its more a computer engineering book than a computer science book, but its great knowledge regardless :smiley:

The other one is a software engineering classic, The Phoenix Project. This is more a novel that follows an IT manager who has to salvage a companies product that is behind schedule and over budget. Its written by the same people behind the DevOps Handbook, and goes into its topics using the novel’s story. I found it a fun and interesting read that I can relate to and still follow along with some of the ideas it presented.

Neither of these are anything “cool” you’d probably look into if you wanted to go program. There are no languages (except binary in CODE) or frameworks, or anything “cool and hip”. However both are somewhat timeless, as what they go over will probably never change, and both are realities you will have to deal with at some level when you are developing software, or part of the process of developing software.

3 Likes

@bradtaniguchi brings up a good point about books that focus more on theory and good software development principles.

Another good book that won’t go out of date is Cracking the coding interview.

I think the author does a good job of explaining how the technical interview works. Then there are hundreds of examples that you can work through.

The book uses java and c but if you understand the core concepts then you can easily translate those examples into javascript.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.