Should I take a gap semester to focus on coding?

Hey guys!

This is my first post here so nice to meet you all!

My name is Jorge, I’m 23 and I’m in my first year of college studying software engineering. Now, the title may sound a little confusing but reading the next will make a lot more sense (Hopefully).

I live in a third-world country, I’m working since I’m 17 and I could just pay for my college because of my job with a lot of effort. I was never good at maths, I’ve always struggled to understand them even since high school. However, with a triple effort, I’ve been able to barely pass differential calculus and linear algebra (Whilst working full time).

I love programming, I’m still super basic at it but I visualize myself inside a great company with an excellent salary. The problem is my college, while it is indeed teaching me how to code in Java, I feel that my attention is going mainly to understanding calculus and maths for obvious reasons, I barely have time to learn to code (Still with the limited time I possess, I’ve been able to pass programming with much success).

I would say I can quit my job and focus on my college and learn programming at the same time, that would be awesome! But no, unfortunately, that’s a luxury some people can’t afford living in a third-world country.

Now here’s the reason for my question: taking a gap semester so that I can ONLY focus to learn a lot of back-end programming to see if I can land a job as a back-end programmer and make my life a lot easier. I love coding, I just wish I can have enough time to put into it.

So what do you say, guys? do you think this is something reasonable? I’d love to hear your recommendations and/or strategies.

Thank you so much for giving me some attention! Have a nice one.

Wow, talk about a humble-brag. :wink: I mean, most people can’t even do those. It’s like someone saying, “Yeah, I’m a terrible runner, I can’t seem to get my marathon time under 3 hours.” :wink:

If I were you, I would stick with the degree. You have the momentum and that will be a huuuuge help in getting a job. This is often especially true in (what you describe as) a third-world country - it’s my perception that other countries are more formal about degrees and certifications than the US.

taking a gap semester so that I can ONLY focus to learn a lot of back-end programming to see if I can land a job as a back-end programmer and make my life a lot easier.

I think that is going to be harder than you expect, especially without a degree.

1 Like

You’ll have the time to gain practical experience and domain knowledge after your degree, no point in doing a gap semester

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.