Should include very old contributions on my CV/portfolio?

Hi friends! It’s been a while since I haven’t been on these forums. I’ve been building and learning a bit of this a bit of that during this time :smiley: , and working on my portfolio too: https://pablopenia.dev (any suggestion is well received, still in construction).

But my question is more about my CV:

• Is OK to include ALL my work experiences? I’m 38, and I had worked in several areas like: Frigorifics, logistics and owned a couple of physical commerces. These are my only work experiences (nothing IT related).
  • Should include very old and now deprecated contributions? For example I was member of the phpBB support team, and made a LOT of translations for phpBB mods and Joomla (v2.5) extensions. All this work actually is deprecated now.
  • What about old projects that are offline today, and I don’t have the backup. For example I developed and administrated several forum games from 2004 to 2010, knowledge base about some MMO, including apps like skill calculators, well a lot of stuff to list. Should I include it?

Thanks in advance!

In general the older something is the less relevant it becomes to your current resume. If something is very relevant but very old, then it’s more a question about if you have anything that is more relevant, and less old.

At some point old and irrelevant stuff gets thrown off your resume completely to save space for more relevant and more recent things you’ve done.

The one nice thing about being a developer is you can easily document your older contributions elsewhere, rather than your resume. Your resume should be the best you got and lead to other places that can provide more detail.

If something is very old, legacy/deprecated, but cool and possibly relevant to the current job your applying to I might consider not placing it in the traditional location, but rather near the bottom where most “fun-facts” sort of things go. These are usually conversation starters if you get to the interview stage, but themselves are not super relevant or important for the job by themselves. I consider them like the “end-credit tease” at the end of a film, as they can show extra personality about what else can be learned.

My approach is to keep shrinking the older and/or less relevant pieces of a resume over time. Eventually they are gone entirely.

Some of your older jobs in non-technical roles might be able to highlight specific transferable skills (like leadership or project planning)… but ask yourself if any of your more recent and more relevant experiences can display those qualities. If so, drop off the old stuff. If there is something from an old experience that is both unique and valuable, then shrink that section of the resume down to just highlighting that.