Slice and splice in reverse order?

Hi,

So, for the life of me I cannot understand why my output is returning arr1 in reverse order when spliced into my newly created arr2Copy, I’m sure it’s something really simple that I just cannot see, but god do I feel dumb right now trying to resolve the challenge.

My thought process is that I’ve created a loop, that confirms 0 is less than arr1 (which is 1 as it’s a single array), so it executes, gets the arr2Copy, and splices in from the user provided index (n), all the elements of arr1, hence arr1[I] within the loop, but it seems to be starting from the end of arr1 and not the start???

I think the problem might be with my thought process at the loop stage and what is actually happening within that part of the code block but I wanted to ask the community to shed a little light on this instead of looking at the answers.

The returned output is: [ 4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6 ]

Hope the above makes sense.

Your code so far

function frankenSplice(arr1, arr2, n) {

let arr2Copy = arr2.slice(0, arr2.length); // this is a copy of arr2 as arr2 should not be mutated

for(let i = 0; i < arr1.length; i++){
    arr2Copy.splice(n, 0, arr1[i]);
  }

console.log(arr2Copy) // visualise the output

return arr2Copy;
}

frankenSplice([1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6], 1);

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_4) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/13.1 Safari/605.1.15.

Challenge: Slice and Splice

Link to the challenge:

you have [4,5,6]
now, at first iteration of the loop the first element of the other array is added at index 1, so [4,1,5,6]
now, second iteration, second element is added at index 1, so [4,2,1,5,6]

do you see the issue?

1 Like

@ieahleen I’m here, on my sofa, head in hands saying “ohhh myyy god” laughing to myself, your reply was exactly the detail I was after for my understanding of what’s going on.

I’ve incremented n (n++), after each iteration of the loop to place (or splice in) the remaining elements of arr1 into arr2Copy and that’s the unit solved!.

Thank you for the help!