Software Engineer in Healthcare

Every job I research for software engineering or development in the healthcare industry seems to come up C#, .NET, Java, PHP, etc. However they ask for JS, Python, TypeScript, React, Node.js as well. This seems all over the place to me, as if they industry is in transition itself. I really want to become an expert in JS including backend like Node.js and libraries like React and Angular etc. Will there be a future for me in healthcare or am I out of luck without the other languages. Anyone have a career in healthcare as a programmer?

Why not try some other languages? I enjoy C, but I also do work in C++, Fortran, Python, CUDA, etc. Developers frequently need to understand multiple languages.

@JeremyLT Good point.

“Healthcare” is an extremely broad category and includes tons of types of software.

It can be really screwed up. For example, imagine this…

The HR person goes and ask the requirements: React Native and redux. But then then encounter an engineer that tells them that if they have React then it’s OK and another says that if they have Angular, then they will probably OK with React. Then someone tells them that if they have Vue that will probably be OK. Then someone else says that in lieu of Redux, MobX or Flux will probably do. So, they print in the ad:

Requirements: React Native, React, Angular, Vue, Redux, Mobx, Flux

Even though that is a ridiculous requirement, we see it all the time. Then the HR person looks in handbook and sees that for an associate level position they require 6 years experience. So in the ad they put:

Must have 6 years experience with React Native.

That would be quite a trick considering that it is only 5 years old.

Take these ads with a grain of salt. Very often they are a combination of a wish list and things that might be OK, all mixed up. Don’t “x years” too seriously, take it down 25-50%.

If in doubt, reach out to one of the engineers on linkedIn. Read the job description and if you think you can do it, apply. Just don’t lie on your resume and if they think you aren’t qualified, they won’t call you. Don’t be irresponsible about it, but don’t be afraid to take a few chances.

This makes total sense. That is probably why I looked at 20 postings and they all sounded almost identical from different companies. I understand we need to have a knowledge of multiple languages but to be an expert in all of them you would need to be doing it for 30 years. Thanks again.

Unless it is a senior/architect level position, probably no one expects people to just drop in and nail every tech. Take the ad with a grain of salt. When in doubt reach out and ask. Don’t be afraid to send in a resume, just don’t lie. If they set up an interview, just do a little research and when they ask, say, “Yeah, that sound like an interesting library, it’s on my list to learn, i’d love getting to sink my teeth into it on the job”.

And some jobs are just going to turn you down flat. That’s OK. Your goal isn’t to get every job. Your goal is to get 1 job. And you may have to go through a lot of failed interviews to get there.

Some of that may be recruiters too - a lot of the low level ones (which are most of the ones sending out emails) seem to have this sloppy cut and paste forms they send out.