Solutions for Neurodivergent Learner

Hi all. I’m pretty new to this whole coding thing. Aside from studying HTML in a middle school class in 2009, and Visual BASIC a year later, I’ve got no experience. But a recently rekindled interest out of nowhere.

So when my girlfriend told me how she learned C++ for free here, I thought it was absolutely perfect. And so far, it is. There’s just one catch.

I had kinda forgotten that if the material I’m learning from is digital, I don’t retain it as well. Even with finishing HTML Basics and being quarter-way through CSS, I’ve already forgotten some things. Obviously part of this will come from practice, but being able to physically flip to a page I need for reference is how I learn best. I’m a hands-on learner but I almost need a physical copy of the material I’m learning.

I’m wondering if there’ a way to print out the fCC lessons, if anybody has compiled them for printer-friendly versions, or if there’s books to actually purchase(I wouldn’t mind that). Even books not associated with fCC that go over the material in a similar fashion to help me learn this. Otherwise it’s going to be how I play instruments; all muscle memory, which won’t work for the dynamic way that programming works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Hi @KingNothingIII !

The challenges do get updated over time so someone’s notes might not be 100% up to date.
Also, the current curriculum will be replaced with an all project based curriculum.
So that means no more challenges, just projects.

Since you are interested in text based options here are a few to consider.

Documentation:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/

Articles:

Books

Books can be tricky because technology is always changing.
But books that cover the basics of the language are good.
I just wouldn’t buy books on libraries or frameworks because it will go out of date pretty quickly.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Our curriculum is interactive, so there is no printable version. You’re not expected to remember everything (being able to do so would be extremely rare). This is the type of skill that you learn through practice, rather than memorization. There are certainly many physical books you can buy - O’Reilly books are very popular, as well as No Starch Press. If you learn best with physical engagement, I really recommend writing your own notes as you go. Not only will gou have reference material to flip through, but the act of phrasing the lesson in your own way and writing down what you understand will help you connect to the material much better.

2 Likes

Yes I actually did start taking my own notes a bit. I think I’ll go through and more thoroughly organize them for future reference. But thank you for the advice and recommendations!

I will look in to these! Thank you for your advice!

This is how programming is, except where music which is more a form of expression, programming is a form of problem solving. Being able to solve problems using programming ends up being more muscle memory and experience to solve a problem, not hard memorization.

Its worth noting that HTML and CSS aren’t programming languages. They are syntax for markup and styling respectively. HTML is the structure, CSS is the styling, and JavaScript is what makes it do stuff. So if you wanted to make a painting, you’d use a lot of CSS and HTML. If you wanted to make a complex robot you’d need a lot more JS, and just a little HTML and CSS. Furthermore if you moved to another platform, such as back-end development, HTML and CSS don’t carry over only JS and programming does.

The best reference is online. Its searchable, fast, comes in infinite forms, and has all the reference answers you need. However, not everything can be solved through reference alone. There will be situations where you will need to work the problem, if anything so you can ask “the right question” so you can get relevant answers via the web.

Sure you can print out stacks of reference material to help you learn/study, but you have to ask yourself how much will you use everything in that stack? Also, how many “holes” does that stack have? There’s a lot of things to learn, trying to have everything available might lead to more issues than solutions when trying to use what you end up with.

When it comes to HTML and CSS I personally use MDN (as linked above) as my reference material. Its up to date, comes with clear explanations, and provides a lot of reference material on any number of web-dev topics. Unless you have a magical printer with infinite ink+paper, I don’t see you being able to print everything, so using the site itself to get help should be the way to go :slight_smile:

Spaced repetition works wonders.

1 Like

I think you should change yours approach to study .
Since you cant get copies of everything and even your going to step into technical field you must get adopted to digital .
And if its comes to references you can make yours own notes while preparing /learning any contents.