Some general quistions about progress and career advice

Hello everyone :v:
so in general i was learning front-end web dev for over 6 monthes now ,at a slow base (2-3)h/d.
i started with some youtube videos and a couple of books before moving to FCC , i was able to finish the first two courses in two monthes and im working on my third certificate,
in general it takes me one month to finish each course and one to two days for each project .
so my question is : am i too slow ,or am i doing alright until now in your opinion ?
also how long do you think it would takes me to be able to find a job ,im thinking 3-4 more monthes but im not sure and i have no programers friends to ask
one more qouestion : is it hard for someone who’s not in the EU or the US to find a rispectful remote job as junior front-end web dev?
note : sorry for making this too long and forgive my english im not that good at writing .
thanks in advance .

First of all, your English is fine, don’t worry about it.

so my question is : am i too slow ,or am i doing alright until now in your opinion ?

That is really hard to say. Some people speed through the certs but don’t learn it, some people take their time and learn it well. It isn’t really possible to answer.

also how long do you think it would takes me to be able to find a job ,im thinking 3-4 more monthes but im not sure

Again, that depends, but that sounds fast to me. I would expect at least another year. But it really depends on a lot of factors. It could be less. It could be more.

is it hard for someone who’s not in the EU or the US to find a rispectful remote job as junior front-end web dev?

Probably. But depending where you are, you may just want to get any job, or at least anything that is going to pay the bills. After a few years of experience, it gets a lot easier to get a company to be willing to take a chance on you. I mean, apply for everything, but you might want to see what is available where you are and in places where you are already legal to work.

3 Likes

I live in Turkey and I’m a Syrian, but here the salaries are rediculous for this kind of work, roughly 500$/month,

I was hoping I can get a job soon cause the situation here is getting worse each day,

If you can give me some advice on what to focus on for the next few months to get my first job I would really appreciate it

The advice is always the same. If you’re doing FCC, finish the first 6 certs. Then keep learning and building things. Build more and more complex apps and learning new things. Work on a portfolio, resume, linkedin, etc. Grab some open source and freelance work if you can. Team up with other local coders. Start applying like crazy and polishing your interviewing skills. Keep applying. Keep building and learning. Keep trying to connect with different developers.

There is no magic formula. There is no secret I can share with you. Just work hard. It will happen, but it will probably take longer than you hope.

3 Likes

I’ll try my best, Thank you so much .

Hi @3xxxo !

The most important this is to develop consistency.
Try not to worry about if you are moving to slow.
As long as you are building up a strong foundation in the fundamentals that is the most important thing.
Because once you start working, they will throw into the deep end with complex projects and if you have serious holes in your education it will be a nightmare to learn quickly on the job.

When I was going through fcc, I just took my time and made sure to constantly build projects along the way.
I am really grateful that I took the time to build up a healthy starting foundation, because it made the transition into my first job a lot smoother.
There were still tons of things I had to learn but at least I wasn’t also worrying about filling in the gaps on fundamental knowledge I skipped over while learning.

From my experience as well as most of my coworkers it takes on average 1-2 years self taught.
Are there some who do it quicker?
Sure, but most people fall into the 1-2 year category.
You have already received some great advice on how to get prepared for the job.
I would just make sure you have a strong portfolio of projects to show off and a well written resume.
Also, you need to be building up a network of developers and building connections in this industry because a lot of people landed their first job through their connections.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Yes that was nice to hear and helpful,thank you and good luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hi @3xxxo
All the advices are great. We still learn anything as kids watching others and trying to repeat it. Learn as a turtle to run as gacel later.
Going slowing throw the basis is the thing to do. You can put your mind in one goal, for example, make a nice Portfolio at the end, even check already the projects. So start to look others portfolios and make your own sketch, with pencil, doesnt matter, and every lection you can thing how that will help you to build your portfolio. Also it is good to practice the concepts just messing around with your code and read others code.
About work, I am in the same position :sweat_smile:, but if you are in a rush check the job market, because maybe just learning Wordpress or Wix could help you in a short term.
A lot of people from Turkey are working in German, so maybe get a job in Turkey will help you later. In German they dont mind if you dont speak german provided that you speak english and know your stuff.
Last thought: If you read content about 1h, practice this concepts 2h. It will make differents. If dont It is like try speaking a language reading syntax and not speaking or writing at all. Truly hard.
Dont give up, be GRIT about your goal, and good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you, good luck to you as well :four_leaf_clover:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.