Sort Not Behaving As Expected in Javascript

Sort Not Behaving As Expected in Javascript

I’m a noob so excuse how cumbersome the solution im working on is. I’m working on the “Where do I belong” question. When I run arr.prototype.sort() in this function it organizes the arr as “[20, 3, 3, 5]”. Why? Shouldn’t it be “[3,3,5,20]”?. Also, Why do they use .prototype in javascript?

function getIndexToIns(arr, num) {
  arr = arr.sort();
  for (var i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
    if (arr[i] == arr[i+1]) {
      i++;
    }
    if (num > arr[i]) {
      continue;
    } 

return i;
  }
  return i;
}

getIndexToIns([5, 3, 20, 3], 5);

Largest Numbers in Sub Arrays

By default .sort treats the elements to be sorted as strings. Because '2' goes before '3' in string-land, 20 ends up before 3 in the sorted array. You should provide .sort with a function that describes how to sort numbers in an array. Here’s one that works:

sort(function(a, b) {
  return a - b;
})

Here, a and b represent any two elements in the array. If the function returns a negative number, that means the element in a should go before b in the sorted array. If the function returns a positive number, it’s the other way around.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Array/sort#Description

Most built-in functions in JavaScript are stored in objects such as String.prototype, Number.prototype, Array.prototype, etc.

If you make an array, this array will be linked to the Array.prototype object, which contains functions for manipulating arrays. Now suppose you want to call .sort on this array. JavaScript will first check if the array has a function called sort, but the array itself doesn’t have such a function. So now JS will check the array’s prototype object, which happens to have the sort function, and it gets called.