Starting job hunt - personal portfolio feedback

Hi all,

I am just about to start my job hunt in the UK and would like to ask for some feedback on my portfolio site. :slightly_smiling_face:

It can be found here: camgreen.works. Could you let me know if it’s working for you? I have tested on a few different devices but am a little concerned that the image file sizes may be too big which could cause some slow-down.

I also want to thank this community for being so amazing and helping me to learn what I have done so far!

Thanks,
Cam

2 Likes

I would suggest you install an accessibility checker in your browser (axe is a good one). You’ll find several things that should be fixed, so I won’t mention them again below.

Do not use <br> to create vertical space between elements. This is frowned upon greatly.

Use semantically correct markup. If something is a link then it should be marked up with an <a>. For example, the “Learn more” link near the top of the page. Adding a click event to a <div> is not the same as using an <a>.

Use landmarks. For example, your main content should be wrapped in a <main>, the links at the bottom should probably be wrapped in a <footer>.

I checked out both of your projects. It appears you have disabled the right mouse button on both of them. Is there a reason you did that? That is not considered good form.

Don’t lie on your portfolio. England is not sunny :slight_smile:

P.S. I loved visiting London a few years back.

2 Likes

I think is looks great. Clean and Crisp. I like the way the sites showing your work describe tech details without being boring or too full of yourself.

1 Like

Thank you for the in-depth feedback @bbsmooth and for introducing me to Axe! I think I have fixed as many accessibility features as I can and have removed the <br> from my paragraphs.

I have also fixed the landmarks, and am using <main>, <section> and <footer> tags now.

As for the right-click, I agree that this not good form. It’s a React project-specific issue with the way that I am handling state which doesn’t play nice with opening in new tabs. I will investigate this further as will be a bit more involved to fix than the other points you mentioned.

Don’t lie on your portfolio. England is not sunny :slight_smile:

This had me chuckling, you should see the weather here today. :sweat_smile:

@ptlnh thank you so much for the kind words, much appreciated.

If there’s any more feedback from anyone, please do let me know! :grinning:

Just thought I’d let everyone know that I have since been offered a job as a Junior Developer at a company based in Manchester, England. :grinning:

I will be working with web and VR/AR technologies and am incredibly excited to start in about a month’s time!

If you’re struggling at the moment, please keep going! You will get there.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.