Starting to code again

Hello everyone. I started coding at the end of 2018, I’m really passionate about technology and coding, I learned a lot in 6-7 months.
I actually remember posting here last year around July, I wanted to improve my personal project, I got some great advice and put them in use (I was making a simple portfolio for me rafihasan0178.github.io )
Unfortunately, I had a very bad accident, I’m right-handed and my right hand was damaged badly, 2 tendons were cut, had a big operation, they were somewhat fixed but I still couldn’t move my hand for 4-5 months. I still struggle with my hand in every kind of work but it is fine with a keyboard and mouse :slight_smile:
Well, I managed to forget most of the things I learned as I couldn’t do anything. I think coding is the only thing available I can do as a profession, it’s depressing how I will struggle my whole life for someone’s stupidity.
I’ve decided to be fully committed to Web development, but I know it will be hard for me to get in a position within a year where I can earn and support myself, but I’m willing to take the challenge.
What will be your advice for me to start over now and move forward?
Thanks for reading my post, hope you have a wonderful day!

1 Like

You’ll remember/learn it much faster the second time.

I think coding is the only thing available I can do as a profession, it’s depressing how I will struggle my whole life for someone’s stupidity.

Don’t forget Django, the two fingered guitar player - arguably the best in the world in his time. We all do what we can with our own gifts and burdens.

I’ve decided to be fully committed to Web development, but I know it will be hard for me to get in a position within a year where I can earn and support myself, but I’m willing to take the challenge.

A year might be pushing it. It really depends on your aptitude, how much work you put in, the expected level of the jobs to which you apply, how well you interview, and just plain luck. A year is possible, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

My advice is just to code everyday. Pick a path (like FCC) and just keep working at it. You will struggle, you will make mistakes, but you will learn. Just learn, build things, build things and learn.

Also, surround yourself with people that code. In these times that might be an online community like this, but when things get back to normal, a coding meetup (if you live in a reasonably populated area) will be good for you. Some are doing skype meetups.

And if your hand starts to hurt, there are a lot of other things you can do - read docs, blogs, watch youtube videos, etc.

2 Likes

Sorry for your hand my friend. I’m not capable to give you career advice about software because I just begin to coding. But I can tell you this for motivate you: I saw so many people who specialize in subject after an accident (I even saw a non-arm guy who play guitar with his feets) . I think you can reverse your physical difficulty to a talent in coding don’t give up, have a nice day.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you are doing better now.

You might be surprised how awesome it can be to relearn something, it can be a really cool experience. You have a lot of base knowledge that will make it go faster but you also have the opportunity to learn it better the second time around. Get rid of any bad habits and learn it more focused. If you do the practice very deliberately you may find yourself getting better than you would have gotten without the break. Not saying it will always happen when relearning something but there is a good chance it can.

Good luck and happy coding.

1 Like

Wow, your reply really made my day. Seeing the word “Django”, the python framework came into my mind first :sweat_smile: reading your reply and seeing Django play guitar right after really inspired me. Thanks a lot, world needs more people like you.

Thanks man, best wishes for your coding journey up-ahead <3

1 Like

I’ve grown some bad habits in the last year, I will try to work on these. Thanks for mentioning it man, I got lazy and getting lazier these quarantine days. I feel like I wouldn’t have thought about it at all, or it would have been late. Really glad that I did. Thanks a lot man.