Step 6 it kicking my butt

Tell us what’s happening:
I need help with this problem
Describe your issue in detail here.
I added the

• Child Element 1
  • Child Element 2
But it keeps saying its incorrect. According to the Hint it says: "Your `h2` element should be below the `main` element's opening tag and its opening tag should start 6 spaces over from the start of the line."

I don’t understand what it means by 6 spaces :confused:

**Your code so far**
<html>
<body>
  <h1>CatPhotoApp</h1>

<main> 
   <h2>Cat Photos</h2>
  <!-- TODO: Add link to cat photos -->
   <ul>
      <li>Child Element 1</li>
      <li>Child Element 2</li>
      </ul>

<p>Click here to view more cat photos.</p>
  </main>
</body>
</html>
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 14695.85.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/102.0.5005.75 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Step 6

Link to the challenge:

Restart the step to get the original formatting back. The HTML code in the instructions is just an example, you should not add it to your HTML. The only thing you want to do is:

“Add two spaces in front of the three child elements of main so your HTML is more readable.”

The space bar on your keyboard adds one space. The left/right arrow keys on your keyboard move one space left/right. These are the spaces the instructions are referring to. In the original formatting the three child elements in main are all four spaces in from the beginning of the line. You should add an extra two spaces to make them six spaces in from the beginning of the line.

Also, can I ask you a question? This is not intended to make fun of you at all, so please don’t take it that way. We are just trying to figure out how to make this step easier to understand because a lot of people have trouble with it. Why did you think you needed to use the code example in the instructions to pass this step?

That one was honestly my mistake because I thought I had to use the example above, I didn’t think it was talking about the spaces. (I don’t know I was just trying to do anything that works.)

Also are we supposed to add the spaces exactly like the way the Example is form or no? Cuz I’m really trying to add the spaces but I keep getting it wrong.

Thank you for the feedback.

The example is just showing you that child elements should be indented two more spaces than their parent. If you restart the step you should see that the main element and its three children are all indented the same number of spaces. The only thing you want to do is use your space bar to add two more spaces before each of the three child elements so they are indented two more spaces than main.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.