Stuck on certification project survey form

UPDATE: i already figured it out, the instructions in these course exercises are just really confusing and hard for me to understand, especially as a very brand new learner. it wanted me to put it as an attribute in the html element, not a CSS style property. I wish it would be more specific that way. :’)

Disclaimer: I don’t know/remember how to do the fancy formatting that makes coding in posts “more readable”. I’ve seen how to do it in other forum posts, but I don’t remember how it went or which forum post it was in so I have to post my code the way I have it currently. Feel free to edit my post for me or attach the gif tutorial thing I’ve seen for it.

So I’m working on “Responsive Web design” > Survey Form certification project. One of the prompts in it is " Your #name should have a type of text ." I have the code for this prompt typed out like this:

#name {
type: text;
}

This passes its prompt just fine. Then there’s another prompt that’s literally the exact same thing but for the Email form field thing that goes " Your #email should have a type of email ." I have the code for this prompt typed out like this, exactly like for the name field:

#email {
type: email;
}

Yet this one does not pass its prompt. Why is the code for Name passing but not the code for Email? it’s spelled properly, I have the HTML code for the Email field done exactly like that of the Name field. The corresponding HTML code lines for the Name and Email CSS codes both pass their prompts, the CSS code for Name passes, why doesn’t the Email CSS pass when it’s exactly the same and written exactly like what the prompt is asking for??? There’s no way I’m doing this wrong, this thing must be bugged.

UPDATE: it’s doing the same thing for " Your #number should have a type of number ." CSS code for this prompt is as follows:

#number {
type: number;
}

Ok so I think I am doing something wrong but I can’t for the life of me figure out what on earth it could possibly be because the practice exercises in this course didn’t cover enough for me to know how this works.

you should read instructions carefully, #name means the corresponding element should have id of that name

I think you are confusing CSS and HTML. If you are putting
#name {type: text;} into the HTML page that isn’t correct.

It should look something like <h1 id="name" type="text">Name</h1>. This is just an example of adding an id and a type to an element.

1 Like

the instructions are really confusing to me no matter how closely i read them. im neurodivergent so my brain automatically interprets things literally so if the instructions arent super super clear and specific enough I’ll get confused and not know what to do. “#name” makes me think of what would go in the CSS lines for that HTML element so I thought it wanted me to put the “type” thing in there. I only just started this coding stuff this month so i really dont know what im doing. Thankfully i already i figured it out on my own though. apparently it wanted me to put the “type=email” in the HTML input element…

it’s fine, i figured it out. it wanted me to put it as an attribute in the HTML element it corresponds to. i know the difference between CSS and HTML, it’s just the prompt said “#email” and #email is what goes in CSS to add style properties to the element with that attribute in it and my neurodivergent brain automatically interprets things literally so i got confused. instructions have to be painfully specific, explicit, and concrete and come with lots of visual examples/references for me to understand them properly, especially with things like this where i’m still extremely new to it.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.