Stuck on Tic Tac Toe project

Hi,

I’m doing the TOP JS course and I’m at a point where I’m being asked to build a Tic Tac Toe game. In past projects from the course, I’ve struggled but I was able to figure out a plan to tackle the projects and finalized them. However, in this project for some reason I’m stuck not knowing how to structure the code or where to even start.

I’ve asked the TOP community for help and they referred me to the lessons prior to the project which talk about factory functions, IIFES, and variable scope. I normally find these articles helpful but in this case things are not clicking for me. The articles are only theory and I need more practice to understand the concepts.

I also think that this project is more “hands on” than the previous ones on TOP. In the previous projects, they give more detailed steps on how to build each section and on this one there aren’t many hints.

Can someone give me some guidance on how to get out of this hole? Should I set this project aside and work on a less difficult project? Are there any articles out there with exercises that would help with the concepts mentioned?

Here’s the link for the project in question.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Are you familiar with JavaScript DOM manipulation? Do you know how to dynamically create elements or access DOM elements using JavaScript? This project primarily aims to create a Tic Tac Toe game using dynamic JavaScript functions and minimizing static HTML code. Consequently, you should implement game rules using this approach.

If you’re not familiar with DOM manipulation basics and methods, I recommend trying the fCC JavaScript course here. This will help you understand how to manipulate the DOM with interactive code implementation. If you’ve completed the course but need a refresher, feel free to revisit the “Modern JavaScript Course” section or take a look at the documentation:

Also this article very helpful:

And as a result, this project aims to encourage you to solve problems independently. You should figure it out how to create Tic Tac Toe game rules using JS and how to dynamically create the game board and other elements, how to update the screen with every move (using the screenUpdate method) and how to access HTML elements displayed on the screen dynamicly. It encourages you to implement these functionalities yourself. As mentioned earlier, if you’re not familiar with these concepts, taking a few lessons would be much more beneficial for you.

Also if you don’t understand some specific concepts or methods, you can ask in here or search in google.
I hope this will help to you.
Happy coding!

1 Like