Stuck with Javascript

I have been learning Javascript since February of this year. I feel like I know the very basics like functions, variables, loops and if statements.

I have been trying to build projects on my own but my problem is that I can only do very basic stuff and when I want to do anything more advanced I just end up in ChatGPT and copying some code.

What can’t I get out of this stage no matter how much I am practicing?

Have you tried not opening ChatGPT and instead talking to fellow humans? We can help you get over a trouble without giving you code to copy

thats fair. I feel like I’ve hesitated to do this but it is the only way to break out of the cycle and try to problem solve.

What’s your biggest hurdle? Is it that code you write doesn’t work how you want or gives errors, or is it when you sit down to write you feel lost and can’t even start, or maybe something else?

I think my biggest hurdle is feeling lost on how to start.

Then when I look up on how to do something, it makes sense and I understand what it does but I can’t conceive it on my own.

I feel that. Learning how to solve problems as a coder is even harder than learning how to code. I have picked up a couple things so far that I can share with you.

Break any large problem down into several small problems. Focus only on one of those small problems at a time, and then try to put them all together. Sometimes your “small” problems aren’t so small, and they have to be broken down even further. Keep doing that until you get to a problem you can solve, and then work your way back up. I know that sounds vague and maybe unhelpful, put if you actively think about doing that when working on your projects and try to do it, you will get better at it.

Any time you have a problem that you need to solve, especially something that needs some algorithm, and it’s giving you trouble, do not try to start writing code right away. First figure out how you yourself can even attempt it. For example, if you wanted to write a Roman Numeral converter, just pick a random number, like 37, and try to convert it into a Roman Numeral. Once you’ve actually solved the problem by itself, do it again, but then write down the steps you took in plain English. Then you can put your list of steps next to you, and convert that into actual code.

And of course, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Everybody needs help, and sometimes a little push in the right direction is all it takes to get you going.

Edit- one more thing, use references. The MDN especially is a great resource for getting a better understanding of concepts and how to use features

Thank you so much for this thoughtful response. I think you’re right, I am thinking about coding first and not about breaking down the problem first. That’s my issue.

But I will absolutely try to break things down as small as possible and make my way up. And I will start posting on here when I run into issues rather than chatGPT.

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

1 Like