Stumbling on CSS, Focus or Partition the subject?

HI All

I was just wondering if anyone is in the same situation or has any advice on the following predicament:

I finished the Responsive Web Design, and only have been working on the projects, however, the more I continue to do the projects, the more I realise how much of CSS I just don’t have a grasp on, I’ve delved into the problem areas such as positioning, flexbox, multi class inheritance, but still find it hard to work with, to position elements and place them where I would like, I can get there, but a lot of the time it comes through a LOT of guessing and messing around… However I do feel like I’m progressing, just crazy slowly, and at the moment, my time to subject allocation is of utmost importance, and while I know CSS is majorly important, and not something I want to skim over, my main focus is being able to get a foot in the door at a company, so as to enter this field instead of the hell that my current line of work is… maybe a bit of an over reaction, but I’m sure you get it…

So I’d like to find out, in regards to focusing on landing a job…

Should I continue to learn CSS in times I feel receptive to it, instead of sitting for hours only focusing on CSS or is CSS something so valuable to a junior developer, I should just continue it as my main focus at the moment…

OR should I focus on other important aspects maybe like starting the JS & Data Structures, and allocate time towards CSS respectively?

Sorry if this is all over the place, but I’d appreciate any feedback.

CSS is a big topic, and almost no one learns every last corner of it. If you know enough CSS to make a decent-looking site, then you should proceed with what you know and come back to learn more later as you need it (or just as curiosity drives you). If you feel yourself slogging through CSS with no appreciable benefit, by all means switch to something more interesting for a while. Javascript is also a must-learn, and a great area to spend time on when you get bored with CSS (as I programmer, I personally find JS more interesting).

Dude, thank you, I mean it is very obvious to me the importance and necessity of CSS, but I feel like it can eat so much of my time just trying to tackle a small portion, I feel like I can put all that energized time and attention towards something which sticks more, than the ebb and flow of CSS, and come back to CSS periodically, it could be more beneficial I think

I second the motion of “learn enough of ______”. This applies across the spectrum of the programming landscape. To that end I define “enough” as able to be productive and conversant in ____. Few people are a ‘master’ of all of these technologies. Most people are good enough at one or two of them and excel at one of them. By learning most of them you will know which are most interesting to you, and from there you can dig deep on what grabs you.

For CSS there is such a wide set of knowledge and skill involved it’s not common to “know it all” CSS-Tricks, Smashing Magazine, and good ol’ MDN are an invaluable resource for the “I know CSS can do ___! But I can’t remember how.” issues. For instance I’m almost constantly in the CSS Tricks Guide to Flexbox, the more I use it the more I tend to remember, but still there’s always a “know I saw that this before” question that comes up or I need to refresh my mind on the correct syntax.

Try not to be too hard on yourself about not being into CSS, or any one bit of tech in web dev, there are so many different areas and aspects to be into that you’ll find a niche that will suit you well.

2 Likes