Subject selection help!

We have to select two electives this year between advanced java programming and visual programming. What do you think I should select that will help me more in future?

Visual Programmin Course outline

Java Course Outline

If you really aren’t more interested in one than the other, find out who is teaching them and pick the one with the better instructor.

1 Like

Do you know if Visual programming is still used or it is obsolete?

I don’t know the numbers (maybe @ArielLeslie does), but I have no doubt that Java is in much, much higher demand than Visual Basic. If you don’t have a strong preference one way or the other and you are concerned about what’s on your resume, go with the Java courses.

VB holds no real interest, but my understanding is that Visual C++, etc are just the language standards plus some Windows specific stuff. It seems like the benefit of the Visual course is breadth; you get an introduction to C++, Java and .Net. The benefit of the Java course would be depth. As a student I would probably have gone with the Java course (all other things being equal), but I don’t know how much of that is my own preference/bias.

I would review in this order. I studied Java in college, use C# daily at work.

1. Java
  2. C#
  3. C++
  4. Visual Basic