Suggestions and corrections welcome

Tell us what’s happening:

Hi, this is my first challenge and I would like to get some feedback on my code.

I have a feeling that I can simplify a lot of things in it but I don´t know where to look.

Please be nice to me :sweat_smile: and thank you in advance,

https://codepen.io/riann08/full/ExPZzMZ

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.106 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Build a Tribute Page

Link to the challenge:

1 Like

Looks fine for a beginner. I’d just share with you some thoughts.

1. In codepen’s HTML section you only write the body of your document.
<body>
</body>

The rest is added by codepen.
So how do you go about and add the head + scripts stuff? You press the gear or settings close to the HTML section. Then you can add the rest.
pic
2. You don’t need style tags in the CSS section.

I didn’t test it on a wider screen, though, but it doesn’t look pretty good on a mobile version.

Thank you so much. I didn´t know that.

Hi @riann08. Page looks okay. Some things to revisit;

• First off, the FCC sample pages are just that, samples. In each of the projects it says to make your page functionally similar and to create your own. Try not to duplicate the sample projects. That said;
  • Codepen provides the boilerplate for you. It only expects the code you’d put within the body element in HTML. (No need to include the body tags). For anything you want to add to the <head> element click on the ‘Settings’ button, then HTML and add it into the ‘Stuff for <head>’ box.
    • The link to the font goes in the box labeled ‘Stuff for <head>’
  • Run your HTML code through the W3C validator.
    • Since copy/paste from codepen you can ignore the first warning and first two errors.
    • There are HTML coding errors you should address.
  • Codepen provides validators for HTML, CSS and JS. Click on the down arrow in the upper right of each section and then click on the respective ‘Analyze’ link.
    • The one for HTML misses things which is why I recommend W3C
    • The one for CSS is good. Use it, there’s something to clean up.
  • Don’t use <br> to force spacing or line breaks. That’s that CSS is for.
  • Review the lesson about giving meaningful text to links.
  • You need to make the page responsive. On smaller screens the image caption is one word per line and the timeline falls out of the container and it also is one word per line. (Drag the right edge of your browser to the left as far as it will go to see what I mean)