Sum until break

Hello,

I’m tryin to run a total of prompt numbers until -1 is entered. The total should not include the the -1 in the sum. Any help is appreciated.

var s = 0;
var t = 0;
var p = 0;
  while (p<0);
   {
var number = prompt("Enter a positive number to be added to the total or -1 to end. ");
       t += parseInt(number);
       t++;
      console.log("Enter a positive number to be added to the total or -1 to end. " + number);
   }
{
   console.log("The sum of all numbers entered is " + t);

}
var s = 0;
var t = 0;
var p = 0;
while (p < 0); {
  var number = prompt("Enter a positive number to be added to the total or -1 to end. ");
  t += parseInt(number);
  t++;
  console.log("Enter a positive number to be added to the total or -1 to end. " + number);
}
{
  console.log("The sum of all numbers entered is " + t);
}

I made some style edits to make it easier to see what’s happening.

while (p < 0); {

This right here is a big problem. You’ve broken up the while syntax with a ;, which basically means you told the loop to have an empty body.

Also, p is never < 0, so your loop body will never run.

Also, p is never changed, so if you loop runs, it will never stop.

Also, I’m not sure why you have this line:

t++;

We are not in the era of punchcards, so I strongly recommend that you use full words for your variable names.

1 Like

These are the things that jump out at me:

• Your while loop will never run because p is 0 at the beginning.
  • You are never modifying the value of p. (This would cause an infinite loop if the loop ran.)
  • You are not checking for your sentinel value (-1).
  • Your variables aren’t named, so I don’t know what you’re intending to do with each.
  • You are always adding 1 to t.
  • You have an unused variable (s).
2 Likes

This challenge is similar to my first challenge, except I don’t want i to stop @ 10 prompts. I want it to stop @ -1 but not add the -1 to the sum.

var i = 0;
total = 0;
   while(i<10)
   {
       total += parseInt(number);
       i++;
   }
{
   console.log("The sum of all numbers entered is " + total);

}

Well then I think you’d need to know the last number that was selected, in the scope of the while. One option would be to declare a variable outside the while to store the last selection and use that in the while check.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.