Survey/Button HELP!

Hi all! I’m trying to finish the Survey project and seem to not be able to figure out the button code. I’ve changed this code I can’t tell you how many times over the last 2 days and I just can’t seem to figure it out . I’ve poured upon dozens of online examples and just can’t seem to get it. Can someone please help me and point out where I went wrong and how to fix it? It may be something big or something trivial, I just can’t seem to find the error.

Here is my error code:
16. Inside the form element, I am presented with a button with id=“submit” to submit all my inputs.

There should be a button with id=“submit” : expected null to not equal null AssertionError: There should be a button with id=“submit” : expected null to not equal null

This is my html thus far…I have not included the css.

<!DOCTYPE html>

<div class="container">
  <header>
    <h1 id="title">It's All About The Pizza !!</h1>
    <p id="description">We want to know all your feels about pizza!</p>
  </header>

<form id="survey-form">
    <div class="form-group">
      <label id="name-label" for="name">Name</label>
      <input type="text" name="name" id="name" class="form-control" placeholder="Type your name" required />
    </div>

<div class="form-group">
    <label id="email-label" for="email">Email</label>
    <input type="email" name="email" id="email" class="form-control" placeholder="Enter email" required />
  </div>

<div class="form-group">
    <label id="number-label" for="number">Age<span class="hint"> (optional)</span></label>
    <input type="number" name="age" id="number" min="8" max="110" class="form-control" placeholder="Age" />
  </div>

<div class="form-group">
    <p>Which best describes you?</p>
    <select id="dropdown" name="frequency" class="form-control" required>
      <option disabled selected value>How often do you eat pizza?</option>
      <option value="rarely">Rarely</option>
      <option value="rometimes">Sometimes</option>
      <option value="rften">Often</option>
      <option value="all-the-time!!">All the time!!</option>
    </select>
  </div>

<div class="form-group">
    <p>Have you ever made your own pizza?</p>
    <label>
      <input name="made" value="yes" type="radio" class="input-radio" checked />Yes</label>

<label>
      <input name="made" value="no" type="radio" class="input-radio" />No</label>

<label>
      <input name="made" value="maybe-didn't-work-out-so-well" type="radio" class="input-radio" />Maybe, didn't work out so well</label>
  </div>

<div class="form-group">
    <p>What's your favorite? <i>Check all that apply</i><span class="hint"></span></p>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="plain" />Plain</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="extra-cheese" />Extra Cheese</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="peppernoi" />Pepperoni</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="sausage" />Sausage</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="pepperoni" />Pepperoni</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="veggie" />Veggie</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="bacon" />Bacon</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="anchovy" />Anchovy</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="meat-lovers" />Meat Lovers</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="veggie-lovers" />Veggie Lovers</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="pineapple" />Pineapple</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="penne-vodka" />Penne Vodka</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="olive" />Olive</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="onion" />Onion</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="pan" />Pan</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="thin-crust" />Thin Crust</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="sicillian" />Sicillian</label>

<label>
      <input name="favorite" type="checkbox" class="input-checkbox" value="chicago-deep-dish" />Chicago Deep Dish</label>

</div>

<div class="form-group"></div>
  <p>Tell us about your most amazing (or worst) moment with pizza!</p>
  <textarea id="comments" class="input-textarea" name="comment" placeholder="Tell us your story!"></textarea>
</div>

<div>
  <form id="submit" input type="submit" value="submit">
</form> 

</div>

Hello Christina,

Can you please provide a link to your project (codepen link)? That way, it will be easier for others to examine the problem

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (’).

However, in your code, you have " <form id="submit" input type="submit" value="submit">"

When you should have a .

You should have something like this <button id = "submit"> Submit </button>

It was saying “null” because the submit button does not in fact exist (in other words, it is null).

Sorry for posting incorrectly! I’m still getting the hang of all of this and it’s a bit confusing. Below is the link for the forked pen I saved. Hopefully it works. Apologies again!!

https://codepen.io/christina_leigh/pen/bGwmaMd

Christina-

I see two problems in your pen.

1. You need a <button id = "submit"> Submit </button>

Secondly, the button needs to be INSIDE the form tag whose id is “survey-form”

In your pen, you made another <form> and then included the button inside that.

Please let me know if that fixed your problem. I tested your HTML code and tried making changes to see if that changed anything, and all the tests passed.

I got it!! I see where I went wrong after thinking over that other form you mentioned. Thank you sooo much!

I am glad you got it! You are welcome. Happy New Year!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.