Taking notes and job consideration

I am very, very new to coding but want to try it for fun and to learn a new skill. Does anyone take notes while doing lessons in case they forget the exact formulas for how to do things? I haven’t yet, but today I thought I should. Also, has anyone ever tried coding for fun and ended up with a career doing it?
I am blind and unemployed right now. I know of friends who know how to do tis stuff, but never put myself in that position. I have always wanted to write. However, as I am learning, I thought it might be fun to do some web development for money. I have nothing else to take up a lot of time and I could help people.
Thank you for reading this and answering my questions. I was just curious.

Note: My response is subjective, and based on my perspective and experiences.

Does anyone take notes while doing lessons in case they forget the exact formulas for how to do things?

There are probably some who do, but I don’t at least. However, you should do whatever suits you best when it comes to learning. If collating a set of notes, or making personal cheat sheets helps you, then power to you! You should do it!

In the long term, you’ll find that most of the major projects and programming languages are already very thoroughly documented, though. In other words, the notes have already been made for you.

MDN is one of the most popular sites with documentation for web technologies including HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. React is documented as well, same with Angular and Vue.

If possible, I recommend you check them out. If they don’t go into enough detail for you to understand, then you can make personal notes until they’re easier to follow.

Also, has anyone ever tried coding for fun and ended up with a career doing it?

Almost every programmer I know is self-taught and started by doing it for fun. All of us have established full-time careers in the industry.

Most of us started with Discord bots or crappy games, and found ourselves diving into more interesting projects. It helps a lot with building a little portfolio on GitHub or GitLab, which employers will see.

1 Like

As far as taking notes? Sure, whatever works for you. I never took notes. Most of what you need to know is available online and there is no way to memorize it all so I think that knowing how to google things is a more important skill to develop. I keep a notepad where I wrote things that I wanted to learn better, but it was just a list.

As to making some money… Making money in web development takes a significant investment of time and effort to even get ready, especially if you’re talking about part-time or freelance. If you want to make money at this, then it should be your planned profession, not an idle hobby.

I hope you don’t mind, but I am including Scarlette (@Sbrionesu) in this thread because she is also blind and posted a question about getting started with coding earlier today.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for including me :slight_smile: we should stay in touch and help each other…!

i take notes while doing lessons but i do so because i’m a mixture of a visual and linguistic learner. if you don’t know, linguistic learners are people who learn and retain information by reading about it, writing about it, and talking about it. it’s similar to kinesthetic learning since both include hands-on experiences, but linguistic focuses more on the social/language-associated aspect of it. if you are/think you are a linguistic learner then trying out note-taking during coding lessons can be useful for remembering and grasping concepts better, but if you want to take notes because you want documentation of what you’re learning then i wouldn’t worry about it because there are tons of books and sites by people who have already done it for you.

i’m sure many people have. i’m only a teenager so i haven’t had the chance to make a career out of coding as of right now, but my interest in it was sparked by watching some minecraft youtube video where this guy coded a horror game style version of minecraft; i’d imagine many programmers ended up where they are by doing it for fun.

i’m sorry to hear that you’re unemployed at the moment. 2020 and 2021 have both been pretty rough on workers, but hopefully things will get back on track soon (key word: hopefully). i read this article the other day that might interest you. here’s the link for it Helping blind people learn to code.

i’ve actually had similar dreams of being a writer/author of some sort, too. lots of tech-related jobs include writing (other than just physically writing code) such as writing scripts for games and stuff like that. plus, the cool thing about having your own website is it’s literally just a spot for you to write about whatever you want (within reason, of course) so maybe you’ll find that web development satisfies your desire to write.

if you want to do it, go for it. learning to code is obviously a difficult process but, from what i’ve heard, it’s also incredibly rewarding. just know that the process won’t be easy, but it is worthwhile. also, this is off topic, but you seem like a very compassionate person which is a very admirable trait to have.

i hope this reply was helpful or at least somewhat interesting. i wish you the best of luck on your coding journey!

1 Like