Team Projects - Idea

I have an idea for a web application. And it is just that, so if you’re rolling your eyes right now, it’s OK to close this tab. However, if you like what you read below, we should get to work.

So I realized how bootcamps like to emphasize ‘team projects’, considering them really important as part of their curriculum. Why? Because it’s the closest thing you can get to a real work environment.

It gives you the experience you need to not feel completely lost when you land your first job. The idea is sort of structured as a bootcamp would be. The web app would organize teams based on experience, time commitment, etc., and then match them with a team to build something production ready(implementing tests, configuring a database, working on issues etc.). People more experienced could perhaps volunteer to be project managers. You will leave with a nice portfolio piece, experience, and most importantly, knowledge of developer life.

What do you think? It seems like a lot of work, and a big time commitment. It definitely will be, but there’s no stress, it’s just a project to help others come closer to their dream job, and not a business. (That’s what bootcamps basically are, no? You learn some technology stacks, and apply it in a team environment, all for the small price of $30,000(I’m not completely knocking, I’ve done one). Well, we have freeCodeCamp, and potentially this project, for free!)

There is something very similar to this already, Google chingu cohort by chance taken

Chingu is more an ‘environment’ than an app I’d say.

Ironically i was just working on something similar ( an app that allows to create group projects and/or join them ) when i joined for the actual chingu cohort :smile:

May you explain your idea more ? :sweat_smile:

It’s similar, but not the same, as far as I know. I’ve done it before. We didn’t pair with teams, but a single person. My partner was uninterested in the entire thing, so we didn’t even build anything.

Edit: I just looked it up, and it seems a lot has changed. Yeah, this is pretty much what I had in mind. But just because something already exists doesn’t mean you shouldn’t build it. That’s a very limiting way to view things.

Yeah, sure. Do you want to message me?

yeah, sure.
I hope you have time