Testing Objects for Properties can't pass test

Tell us what’s happening:
It can’t pass the “checkObj(“house”) should return “Not Found”.” test.
Can anyone tell me where is wrong?

Your code so far

// Setup
var myObj = {
  gift: "pony",
  pet: "kitten",
  bed: "sleigh"
};

function checkObj(checkProp) {
  // Your Code Here
  var result=myObj.hasOwnProperty(checkProp);

if(result="true"){
    return myObj[checkProp];
  }else{
    return "Not Found";
  }  
}

// Test your code by modifying these values
checkObj("house");

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.140 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-javascript/testing-objects-for-properties

2 Likes

Two problems with this line. First, you are using the assignment operator (=) instead of a comparison operator (== or ===). Also you are checking if it equals the string "true" and not the boolean value true - remove the quotes.

2 Likes

if(result="true"){

• This is not doing a comparison. = is the assignment operator. It is setting the variable result to the string “true”. Because this assignment completes without error, that assignment is truthy so it always attempts to return myObj[checkProp].
  • If you change the assignment operator to an actual comparison operator (===), then your code will always return “Not Found” because hasOwnProperty() does not return a string value. It returns a boolean value: either true or false and “true” is not the same as true.
  • If your if condition is checking a boolean value, you don’t need to use a comparison operator. The contents of the if condition is evaluated as a boolean so if (thingy === true) is the same as if(thingy).
3 Likes

Thank you so much! I fix it.

Thank you so much! Problem solved. One more question, when I define ‘result’, I wrote
var result=myObj.hasOwnProperty(checkProp);

But if the return is a boolean, should I change to: boolean result=myObj.hasOwnProperty(checkProp); ?

In a strongly typed language you would do something like that, but JavaScript isn’t strongly typed, so you don’t do boolean result = myObj.hasOwnProperty(checkProp) any more than you would do number myNum = 42

Any idea why this doesn’t work:

// Setup
var myObj = {
  gift: "pony",
  pet: "kitten",
  bed: "sleigh"
};

function checkObj(checkProp) {
  // Your Code Here
  if (myObj.hasOwnProperty(checkProp) == true) {
return myObj.checkProp;
  }
  else {
  return "Not Found";
  }
}

// Test your code by modifying these values
checkObj("gift");

I can get it to work if I change my dot notation to bracket notation for the first return statement. I don’t understand why that is. Does dot notation not work in return statements? I understand that we must use bracket notation if there are any spaces in the property name, but that is not the case here.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into the forum, precede it with a line of three backticks and follow it with a line of three backticks to make easier to read. See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard. The “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) will also add backticks around text.

markdown_Forums

We must use bracket notation whenever we want to access the value of a property.

1 Like

“We must use bracket notation whenever we want to access the value of a property.”

Only if the property name is not a valid JS identifier or if it is stored in a variable (which it is in this case.)

2 Likes

To use dot notation, you should know the actual name of the property, not just the property variable.

Try this - put this inside the code area

var newObj = obj;
var prop = checkProp;
var result = newObj.hasOwnProperty(prop);
if(result == true){
return newObj[prop];
} else
return “Not Found”;