The Basic Principles of Web Design: Introduction

Thank you for your support! :blush:

If you feel this should be implemented into a curriculum or a forum then I would definitely make feedback to FCC about it because they will take it on board.

I would like to note that the topics of the principles of web design that I will be creating will not be involving in coding. However, if you were to discuss coding that can be relevant to the principles of web design, then definitely leave a comment on any topic as you like where we can all discuss it together :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah I am with you on this one :thinking:

2 Likes

Hey why not call a moderator? :wink: @ArielLeslie

1 Like

First of all, thank you very for your support, it is greatly appreciated and I hope my topics will help you to learn new things :slight_smile:

You could have not worded it better! It is after all human nature that when a user/client/customer goes onto a web developerā€™s portfolio (be it a freelancer or someone who just joined in the web industry), they will look at the design first before looking at how they created their own functional website and sometimes that could affect their opportunity of getting work.

Therefore, I think this leaves a gap of becoming a ā€˜job-readyā€™ web developer after learning to code but not to be taught to design and polish their visual portfolio site.

Well, actually the topic will involve a very extremely small part of coding. :stuck_out_tongue:

BUT, you have helped me out so much on my tribute page, I think I should return the favour :slight_smile: so, go for it.

What is it that you are stuck on particular??

Hm, the flagged post was spam, but I accidentally forgot to nuke it. My bad. All fixed.

I suppose that these notions will help you to make your GUI more appealing to the customer.
Than you can take them and apply them to the language you use.
If you are using Java, itā€™s probably going to be with Swing or JavaFX (or some other libraries).
Between Swing and JavaFX I strongly prefer the latter.
It has a bit of a learning curve at the beginning but itā€™s waaaaay worth it.

If you are looking for ā€œback-endā€ stuff, I suggest a look at design patterns.
Especially for Java, which is the typical OOP language :slight_smile:

So, @Madalena.design, I asked that you create a collaboration branch off of the main post.

Do you think that every time we do a collab project (like e every week or so) for everybody to work on if they can, you should select a user to announce what should be built, or do you just want to do it?

1 Like

Okay, first of all, doing a collaboration project is not a bad suggestion, it is more of the case of if it could happen and when. :slight_smile:

Also, I would like to be clear on a a few things for everyone to understand.

The reason why I am creating topics on web design because I feel it would help web developers to apply the authentic and accessible design on their projects (including their portfolio site) that they have coded and built. As @simonebogni has made a very good point:

My idea is to write a good few topics about some fundamentals of web design and it is to bring many members to take interest and get involved in the post by discussing a subject that related to web design.

What I hope the outcome to be is FCC would see the posts and see the high volume of interests from FCC members and take it into consideration to create a curriculum of principles of web design.

I only plan to write at least up to five topics, which will cover enough to under the basics. I do not plan to go into the depth of every fundamental, otherwise, the purpose of making it into a curriculum would be pointless as everything would be covered here on the forum.

Honestly, your suggestion is not a bad idea, but considering we have only started, letā€™s see what will happen down the road first and fingers cross that it will be a successful outcome :slightly_smiling_face:

ps: If things do not go well as expected, I will look into your idea but implement that maybe through a blog??

1 Like

Okay. sounds good.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@ConnerOw1115 Whew! I am happy to hear that :slight_smile:

@michaelsndr I have managed to watch the video (sorry for the delay!) and I want to say a big thank you for doing so. It has given me so much inspiration and I am already thinking of ideas of editorial design and implement it into the layout of my portfolio site. I am feeling super excited already haha. Again, thank you so much! :blush:

@passive you were asking about the book of Bea Feitler?? Am I correct?? If so, the book is called ā€˜O Design de Bea Feitlerā€™. But, I thought to give you a head up. 1) It is extremely hard to get this copy and 2) it is going to hurt your piggy bank BIG time :slight_smile:

@Madalena.design
O yeah, :grin::smile: Thanks for updating me. Iā€™ll rather donā€™t buy a copy now than to hurt my little Penny. Lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well, I do not blame you at all! But at least you know the designerā€™s name and if you google her works, you may find a plenty of them from there :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Iā€™m a web developer with a good experience, but when it come to the design or even when the client just say ā€œUI/UXā€ I get terrified :sweat_smile:

So finally I decided to overcome this and bring more skills to my skill set :blush:

Interested and Seriously following :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Yeah, thanks. I checked it out before now.
:+1:

1 Like

Welcome to our community, @omeroooor.
Itā€™s nice to have someone new join our group.

1 Like

First of all, welcome to the FCC community :slight_smile:

This may come as a surprise to you but even in the design industry, design students feel anxious when it comes to creating the product. This is because, unlike programming, most of the time in the design principles, there isnā€™t a right or wrong answer.

This is why we have to carry out research to find information from the audience and find out what it is the most common taste in the society in order to create a product that will appeal to almost everyone (remember this, you cannot please everybody).

However, I will try to explain the topics where it will have a more practical approach to it rather than just an artistic approach.

1 Like

Thanks, I am very happy to join :blush:

1 Like

Thanks alot, and Iā€™am waiting for your updates

1 Like

You are welcome :slight_smile:

In case you are not aware, The first topic here is already up and check it out if you havenā€™t :slight_smile: