I was messing around with something. I was struck by the difficulty of trying arrange a call with someone in Europe - trying to keep track of what times match up with what times. So I thought of building an app.
It is a simple app built with React/Redux on the front end and Node/Express on the backend. It uses Google’s suite of map/geo APIs. All that his handled on the backend so I don’t have to expose my Google key.
Things that could be improved:
- It should have a “find me” button. It would be easy to put in and would do it now if it wasn’t so late. Maybe tomorrow.
- It handles DST, but will give incorrect times if the DST changes during that 24 hours. This would get messy to do, because the API only tells me if somewhere is in DST right now. It doesn’t tell me when they change - it’s different in different countries and can change. Do I want to call the API 24x2 times? Plus 24 more for each search? I suppose I could build the data structure like I am and do an additional call on the last hour to see if it matches expectations. If not, we do a binary search to find the problem.
- It just occurs to me that not all timezones are off by exactly an hour. I should probably handle that.
- I need to change the favicon. (I always forget.)
- As with all my apps, I could make it prettier.
OK. Critiques? Suggestions? Job offers?