Tips for rural campers?

Hi everyone,

I live in a rural area where the nearest tech scene of any sort is out of reach ie. the nearest classes, meet-ups, hackathons would be a 6 hour round trip drive. (Atlanta to be exact)

Since collaboration, networking and mentoring seem to be so important to being successful I’m wondering if anyone else has found themselves in a similar situation and could share some strategies or resources that helped them connect remotely.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Since collaboration, networking and mentoring seem to be so important to
being successful I’m wondering if anyone else has found themselves in a
similar situation and could share some strategies or resources that
helped them connect remotely.

The internet is great in situations like this. I’m not as far out as you, but I made it a point to join online groups and start reaching out to others. Take a look at Newbie Coder Warehouse on Facebook, as well as using this forum.

As for mentors, I joined communities that had people in them who I looked up to in the industry, and made sure to be active and absorb what I can from them. No, it’s not always 1-on-1 chatting. But, I can tell you that any time I have sent Travis Neilson, of DevTips, an email or a tweet he has always responded and been happy to. There are a lot of people in this forum, Newbie Coder Warehouse, and various groups on the internet who enjoy learning together, and joining forces to make things.

You have to hustle just like you would traveling to meet-ups and hackathons, and networking face-to-face. You just have to approach it from an online perspective.

3 Likes

Hi @scribeklio,

I am also in similar situation, although there are some meet-ups, hackathons and of course #fccpune community members nearby.

To answer your question there are lot of ways you can collaborate, network and find mentors.

One resource i can share with you is the TravAndLos podcast episode no. 3 : How to find a mentor. This episodes explains in detail how to approach someone for mentorship. Also if u check their archive you will find topics that answer many of your questions.

The podcast is hosted by Travis Neilson (whom @ronbecker mentioned above) and Los Montoya.

Other way you can collaborate is by using Github. There is a nice article by @QuincyLarson How to land your first open source contribution, from your browser, in 15 minutes .

If you are interesting in a traditional Computer Science degree material check this link.

Here is a link to a discussion I started about Devtips community on this forum.

Internet is your friend, put it to good use. If u have slow internet connection, read articles on Medium , read blogposts, use every online resource available to you.

I hope this answer’s your question.

2 Likes