Took the Leap of Faith

Over the past year, I built a substantial amount of savings to prepare for this. Not to mention I will be gaining more capital in the coming weeks.

5 Likes

That’s amazing! I’ve never been able to save enough to do anything like that. I admire your tenacity. I wish you the best of results in your journey, you will do great :smile:

1 Like

My expenses are relativity low at the moment. I’ve made some financial sacrifices during my saving period that helped me out right now.

4 Likes

Your brave wish i can do that.

Good luck, I’m currently considering quitting too. I admire your positive attitude and willingness to grow.

Best of luck to you. It is indeed a time of great change but if this is what you truly feel you want to pursue and have a vision of your own for the future then I think this move will be worth it in the end. Always pursue your learning with conviction and never lose sight of the end goal that you have yourself. The community is here to support you.

Good luck! FCC for the win!!

Thanks man. I’m confident I’ll see employment after I complete the backend projects.

Wow, good luck! That’s the attitude to have - no turning back, just go full steam ahead.

:relaxed: all the best!

Saw something funny on my notifications. Since the title is “Took the Leap of Faith”, everyone that has liked or replied to the post has “took the leap of faith” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good luck @DanStockham. If you are just starting, perhaps we can collaborate as I quit my job 4 weeks ago to commit to coding full-time as well.

1 Like

Good for you man. I’m a bit farther along with the curriculum, but you ever have question on anything just shoot me an PM :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow!!! All the best to those of you who have quit your day jobs. Please keep us here posted.

Best of luck my friend

Godspeed Dan Stockham! I wish you the best of luck, happy coding buddy

Way to be. I’m taking the “limp of faith” myself. I busted my leg up really bad in a motorcycle crash, and I desperately need new income. I most likely won’t ever be able to return to my old job, being a letter carrier with the USPS. I can hardly walk at all, let alone the 14 or 15 miles a day the job requires.

I live in Oakland, California and I get by on state disability, but it stretches pretty thin. I’m gonna need to skill up with freecodecamp and any other resource that will get me working. I have to say, so far, I love it here.

1 Like

Done, 5 months ago…left my job, and used all my saving to take about my Family and to properly learn how to code.
I am willing to sell my car and my house if necessary.
Personally, I do not see it as “risk” it is an INVESTMENT…an investment for my future and the future of my kids.
Now, everything is in my hand, perhaps I am struggling in the present …but I m not worried about the future.

1 Like

Best of luck, my friend! Happy coding :slight_smile:

1. Apply for unemployment - on basis of UNFAIR AND CONSTRUCTIVE dismissal (employers are stupid)
  2. Continue to increase your value (gain more skills)
  3. Learn to do research on the company you want to work for - It’s all about the culture. If the employees, suck. Then, prepare for misery.
  4. If you do end up getting hired by a sucky employer with sucky employees, don’t stop looking for work.
  5. There are a ton of organizations where you could fit in.
  6. If you were asked, “why did you leave your last job?” - here’s a wonderful technique I teach my clients------Sandwich Method------

It is called sandwich, because you start discussing your last employment on the positive note, shorten and put icing on the negative, and turn that negativity into a positive or a “blessing in disguise”. AVOID bad-mouthing your last employer. It’s not a good practice to be passive-aggressive.

Example:

“ABC company was a fantastic place work. I had the opportunity to hone my skills in jQuery, Angular, React, Vue, Ember, and Meteor frameworks. I left my last job because I was not fitting in with the company culture. However, after doing several research by talking with some of your staff, I believe I would be a fantastic asset in this company. As you can see on my portfolio, I have donated my time in revising XYZ nonprofit organization’s website that drove more visitors and simplified donation forms. The XYZ nonprofit organization will be able to use those donations to help the homeless population of (some city) and I completed this project shortly after leaving my last employer.”

I also suggest creating a unique branding pitch.