(TOTAL NEWBIE) (CSS) Difference between setting things as a class vs an ID

Hello All,

I am taking the front-end development course, and I am completely new to it (thanks for the help!). I just made it to the part about creating my first portfolio, so I have been reading up on Grids.

I don’t understand the difference between calling something via a class, or via an ID, and I don’t think the course work really mentions the difference. For example, making a grid as such:

div id=“firstGrid”>

#firstGrid {
display: grid;
grid-template-columns: minmax(100px, 50%) minmax(100px, 50%);
grid-template-rows: auto;
grid-row-gap: 10px;
grid-column-gap: 10px;
}

Versus calling a grid like this:

div class=“firstGrid”>

.firstGrid {
display: grid;
grid-template-columns: minmax(100px, 50%) minmax(100px, 50%);
grid-template-rows: auto;
grid-row-gap: 10px;
grid-column-gap: 10px;
}

These both yield the same result - what is the difference? What should I know to ensure I get my fundamentals right?

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

ID selectors have higher specificity than class selectors. In general, styles in selectors with high specificity can’t be overridden by those in lower specificity selectors.

For example, if you have a <p class="lead"> element and this CSS:

p {
  font-size: 14px;
}

.lead {
  font-size: 28px;
}

it will have a font-size of 28px, because the .lead class selector has higher specificity than the plain p selector. It’s the same idea with an ID selector, but with higher specificity than a class selector. But from what I’ve read, ID selectors are generally avoided because of their high specificity that’s hard to beat (I can’t remember where I read this, sorry)

2 Likes

To add to what @kevcomedia wrote, this link explains why you may not want to style IDs.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! That makes a lot of sense.