Travis Neilson - My First Websites Were Horrible! [ SHOWCASE ]

This is a horribly inspiring video. I have a lot of respect for Travis, but it’s always nice seeing someone else’s not so stellar work as a reminder. This is a really simple video, but it was kind of inspiring for me when I was feeling a bit down about coding in the past. Nobody is born and able to create perfect, beautiful works. It takes time and effort.

3 Likes

Being able to analyze own work and having a will to iterate is a game changer. So often we finish a project and think, well it’s done while great products are those never done. We need iteration (don’t mix with perfectionism).

Getting meaningful feedback from other developers and from the users, makes the work harder but make us develop, users are happier with what they finally get, and our dev friends feel needed. Analyzing own code and design from the perspective of time and results is a always a great lesson.

[quote=“ewathedoer, post:2, topic:440”]
Being able to analyze own work and having a will to iterate is a game changer.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more. Plus, it’s always fun to look back at your old work. You can get a few laughs, and you can see how far you’ve come. I try to keep a copy of everything I’ve ever done. Good and bad. That way I can come back to it and try to improve upon old ideas, and just look at the difference in my design and my coding.

Feedback is always great, even when you don’t like what you hear. If you are the only person giving yourself feedback it’s hard to make much ground. It always helps to have someone else’s perspective.

Will be watching this :slight_smile: