Triangle patterns help needed

hi

I created a function that takes a number as input and prints out a hashed triangle. I am getting the right output when i type in a positive number but the instructions want me to type in a negative number as well. The negative number prints nothing.

Here is my code so far:

function triangle(number) {

var lines = "";

if(number > 0) {

for(var i = 1; i <= number; i ++) {

for(var j = 1; j <= i; j ++) {

lines = lines + "#";

}

lines = lines + "\n";

}

}

if(number < 0) {

for(var j = number; j >= i; j --) {

lines = lines + "#";

}

lines = lines + "\n";

}

}

return lines + "\n"

}
console.log(triangle(4))
//4 outputs

which is correct. (hashes dont show up on this page for some reason so i just typed stars)

I tried all kinds of conditionals but still nothing appears in the console when i pass in a negative number as a argument. When the argument is a negative number the triangle should be upside down.
console.log(triangle(-4)) should print:

• (hashes dont show up on this page for some reason so i just typed stars)
    but nothing prints in my console.

Please help me solve my conditional error.

I’ll get you started. When number is less than 0 you have the following for loop:

Let’s put real numbers in there. Let’s say the number passed in is -4. We know that i is initialized to 1. So the first time the for loop tries to execute, what are the values in i <= number? Is it true or false? You know you’ll need 4 lines of output (since the number passed in is -4), so can you think of a way to tell the for loop to iterate 4 times using the negative number that was passed in.

I am really lost on this one. Been trying for hours lol

You are close, you don’t need to change much. Think about this again. If you passed in -4 then you need 4 lines of output (i.e. loop through the outer for loop 4 times). And if you passed in -10 then you would need 10 lines of output. Do you see a pattern here? What is the difference between the negative number being passed in and the number of times you iterate through the for loop?

the iterator variable i should equal the number variable or i should decrement? Thats still not giving my desired output lol

You were so close the first time, you just need to make one simple change. This for loop is counting up from 1. If you passed in -4 then you would want 4 lines of output, which means you want to iterate through this loop 4 times, in other words, keep looping until i is no longer less than or equal to 4. But number is -4. What could you do to make the right side of that comparison 4 instead of -4?

i tried >= number but still no desired output. My console is either blank or gives me fatal error with a bunch of other weird crap lol

I will give you another hint:

You do not need to make a change to any of the above, you only need to add something. Again, when number is set to -4, what can you do to make it positive (4) so that the for loop works correctly.

Sorry my browser was not responding. I honestly have no clue at this point lol. My brain is fried from the last few hours

Mathematically, do you know how to turn a negative number into a positive number? That’s what you need to do here.

i got the correct output now , i declared the number variable to positive on top of the outer loop. thanks so much, if i count the hours i have been on this problem for 4 hours lol

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.