Tribute page feels off - Feedback

So this is the first time I’ve made a project in HTML and CSS since high school, and I’d love some feedback. I wanted to keep it simple and somewhat follow the given example, but I think the simplicity didn’t work too well. I feel like something’s missing. Any and all feedback is appreciated, and thank you in advance.

https://codepen.io/christianshortt73/pen/zQBGPa

1 Like

I can’t see anything “off” about it per se, but it is quite plain. If you want to make it more visually appealing but you’re not sure what to do with it design-wise, find a site you like the look of and try to emulate its style.

One thing you could immediately improve is making it more responsive. The two-column layout doesn’t work well on small screens.

1 Like

You can improve the appearance through the use of colors and tasteful fonts.

Search about using Google or Adobe fonts to use other style of fonts.

As lionel said above, the 2 columns don’t work on small screens. Maybe stack them instead of side-by-side for smaller screens.

1 Like

Thank you both for the pointers! I added a media query to change the look for small screens, and I’ll come back to the design when I’ve had some time to think on it and work on the other projects. I don’t like the plain look myself, but for the time being it’ll do.

Use some different colors and shadows for a bit of emphasis on your divs. Doesn’t feel off to me, just needs that ‘pop’

I would suggest adding some more styles and colors to the text. Surround the picture and the subtext below it with a box. But your site looks very good.