Tribute Page - Please give me a feedback

I thought the aim was to try to copy the original template that fcc provides to us, so it’s very similar to what fcc has proposed!
I’d like to know about the semantic, whether there’s something which I should improve, thanks in advance!

Link to the project:
https://codepen.io/leviermonaites/project/full/XMnjPY

Looks fine to me. I have one complaint though. At the bottom of the page, it isn’t immediately clear that there’s a link to his wikipedia entry. This is just because the anchor link text has the same color as everything else. There should be something to visually different link color from the rest of the text, I think.

1 Like

The instructions say Fulfill the below user stories and get all of the tests to pass. Give it your own personal style.

Your page looks good @leviermonaites. Some things to revisit;

• Although FCC calls them projects you should be creating a Pen. Codepen only allows one Project but multiple Pens. That’s why the instructions have you fork FCC’s Pen…it will open a new Pen for you.
  • Run your HTML code through the W3C validator.
    • There are HTML syntax/coding errors you should be aware of and address.
    • The error with FCC’s script is because it should appear right before the closing body tag, not after it.
  • Accessibility is about being accessible to all users. Review the giving meaningful text to links lesson. For a more thorough explanation read Web Accessibility in Mind.
    • wikipedia entry” is not accessible

On a side note, when creating a pen codepen provides the boilerplate for you. It only expects the code you’d put within the body element in the HTML editor. (No need to include the body tags). For anything you want to add to the <head> element click on the ‘Settings’ button, then HTML and add it into the ‘Stuff for <head>’ box.

• For instance links to fonts go in the box labeled ‘Stuff for <head>’
1 Like

HI @leviermonaites !

A lot of people think that when they are first starting the projects.
But as mentioned earlier, that is not the case.

The samples are only meant to give you a basic idea of what you can build.

The real learning comes in when you create projects with your own style.

Even if you are not a designer, aim for creating a simple design that is responsive.
These projects will teach you how to come up with your own layout and execute it in code.

Just keep that in mind when you are building the other projects. :grinning:

1 Like

Oh man thanks, I’m going to review these points.

I’ll fix that, just forgot it man, thanks for remembering!!

@jwilkins.oboe - Thanks for the advices as well!

I like the tribute page. Just the Wikipedia link that needs a color change. My personal observation.

i think the page is great. the timeline is concise, the format is good and, overall, i like it. the only things i see that could be corrected are a few grammatical errors. i listed them below and put alternatives for what it should stay instead (not trying to sound like a grammar fanatic, it just helps give your page a more professional feel. keep in mind that you don’t have to change anything on the page if you don’t want to. it’s up to you)

1894 bullet point
i would change what it currently says to “He was born in London with the name Grossbaum which he later changed to fit in with the Wall Street environment.”
1895 bullet point
i would change what it currently says to “His parents moved to New York City where he later proved to be a brilliant student. He went on to win a scholarship to Columbia University.”
1914 bullet point
i would change what it currently says to “At age twenty, Graham graduated second in his class from Columbia University and was invited to teach there but he declined. His father had died, and he needed a larger income to support his family. He landed a job at Newburger, Henderson & Loeb in Wall Street earning twelve dollars per week.”
1920 bullet point
the only thing i have to say about this sentence is you should change “is” to “was” so that you consistently use past-tense verbs in all of the bullet points.
1923 bullet point
change “lefts” to “left” and remove the extra period from the end since you put two.
1928 bullet point
change “starts” to “began”
1934 bullet point
italicize the book name so it reads Security Analysis rather than Security Analysis and state that Graham is the author of the book.
1949 bullet point
i would change what it currently says to “A more user-friendly book, The Intelligent Investor, is published and is less than half the size of its predecessor.”
1976 bullet point
change “passes” to “passed”
caption of the photo at the top
i would change the caption to “Benjamin Graham sitting at his desk.”
timeline title
i would change the current title to “Timeline of Benjamin Graham’s Life”

the reason i changed the present tense verbs to past tense is because it’s generally good practice to consistently use one type of verb tense (especially in timelines).
overall, though, the page is great! i love how concise and to-the-point everything was and also how you provided the link to his wikipedia entry within the words “wikipedia entry.” obviously grammar has no affect on how efficiently the code executes, it’s just a nice touch :))

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.