Tribute Page Review - Hedy Lamarr

Hello World! I’m hoping to get some feedback on my Tribute Page for Hedy Lamarr: https://codepen.io/npgriggs21/full/dyMxmoe

This is my first ever webpage and I’m pretty excited about how it came out! If you have any advice about conventions or commenting, or anything else you think I could improve on, I’d love to hear from you!

Welcome to the forums @npgriggs21. Your page looks good. Some things to revisit;

• Codepen provides the boilerplate for you. It only expects the code you’d put within the body element in HTML. (No need to include the body tags). For anything you want to add to the <head> element click on the ‘Settings’ button, then HTML and add it into the ‘Stuff for <head>’ box.
    • The link to the font goes in the box labeled ‘Stuff for <head>’
      • Mentioning because since you did the full boilerplate you have elements out of order.
  • Run your HTML code through the W3C validator.
    • There are HTML coding errors you should be aware of and address.
  • Do not use the <br> element to force line breaks or spacing. That’s what CSS is for.
  • Not sure if you noticed but you always have a horizontal scrollbar on your page. Hint: it’s caused by the margin and padding in your title
    and img-div declarations.
  • Not sure if you noticed but even though you use the strong elements around the dates they don’t present as such. This is because when you linked to ‘Comfortaa’ you only used 300. Most common is 400 (normal) weight and then 700 for bold. If you go back and select both weights you’ll see the results you want.
1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply! I’ve already learned a lot! When I ran my code through the validator, it complained that I wasn’t using !DOCTYPE, html, and body, but I figured that was ok when using Codepen.

I think I addressed all your points: https://codepen.io/npgriggs21/full/dyMxmoe

Nice job cleaning things up. Looks better.

This is a suggestion, ignore it if you want. Since the dates in the tribute info are bold, maybe get rid of the bullet points. Design decision that’s up to you.

Yes, for codepen properly formatted HTML code you can ignore the first warning and first two error messages.

1 Like