Trouble translating CSS lessons to final project tests

Hi, so I went through all the courses for Responsive Web Design at a leisurely pace and felt I did a good job of internalizing what I learned. Then I got to the final tasks of actually building sites and I feel like I fell into the deep end after wading in the shallows. It went from hand-holding through baby steps to being put on your own with a blank slate. I am not really sure how to approach these builds now, it feels as if I didn’t internalize anything I learned up until this point. Help.

1 Like

I completely understand how you feel.
I have done a LOT of searching for solutions to things that did not seem hard at all in the exercises.
I have found the W3schools site to very helpful with finding ‘just which tag or declaration’ I think I am looking for, however, that is not always getting me the best solution for me.

Have you joined CodePen and looked at the example projects?
I think reading through that helps some, but, I am trying to get the most out of the experience by creating my own instead of forking the example and just tweaking for me. And that is where I am lost.

I know that I have not been super helpful, but maybe at least knowing that you are not the only one, give a little help, along with the resources that I have shared. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @dasch. Welcome to FCC Forum. It is one thing to feel you have understood and another to actually understand. Most, if not all of us have had that feeling in our learning journey. The hardest and most important thing is actually translating your knowledge of coding to a real and tangible project. I suggest you should:

1. Look at the example app provided in the project description to understand how to go about it.
  2. Get a real text editor like visual studio code and use it for coding so that you experience what software development is like.
  3. Google when ever you get stucked. Software development is a profession which requires continuous learning. Knowing how to google and ask questions is a very useful skill.
1 Like

That’s an extremely common experience with learning to program. Working through lessons is just fundamentally different from creating a project and seeing a “blank slate” causes a bit of panic.

When it comes to building a project, it’s a matter of starting small and moving forward one step at a time. Think about the early lessons: creating headers, paragraphs, links, images, etc.

1 Like

That is what I have done so far…I downloaded BlueGriffon and have been working on just the HTML part of the tribute page. And I am a little stuck about adding in the CSS.
It seems that in the real world it is more common to use ‘pre-written’ CSS bits and pieces or either, I am not really understanding that aspect. And the CSS files are separate from the HTML files and have to be hosted separately as well.
But, I am trying to figure that out :confused:

I am thinking about giving visual studio code a try, but I do really like the layout of CodePen, just not being in my browser and ‘online’ all the time and BlueGriffon seemed to be the option to have the CodePen layout, I think it is just my learning curve with the program itself that is my challenge now. :slight_smile:

It’s true that usually html and css are in separate files, but you don’t have to do that right now if it’s slowing you down. When you’re done with your project, you’ll probably be copy-pasting into CodePen (or something similar) anyway. Just use whatever workflow runs the smoothest for you.

1 Like

@ArielLeslie thank you, I will look at it that way :slight_smile:

Happy coding! Feel free to ask if you run into any issues.

1 Like

Wow. I wasn’t expecting such a substantial response to my initial post. Thank you everyone for the encouragement and support. Much appreciated.

1 Like