Trying to start as a single parent with a child with special needs

Hi, everyone. I tried to work on FFC several years ago now and was unable to progress much due to several factors. I’d love to try again but as a single parent to a child with special needs who constantly either needs my attention or is having an emotional episode, I’m not sure how to go about it. Is there anyone here who has successfully navigated a household situation like this? If so, do you have any advice? Thank you!

Hi @RiverQuinn!

Welcome to the forum!

Even though I am not a parent and can relate to your situation, my main piece of advice is to not compare your progress with others.

Everyone on here is working with their own set of circumstances.

Some people are parents like you and trying to juggle work, family and learning how to code.

While some are teenagers learning how to code along with regular school work.

I would just be patient with yourself and take it as slow as you need to.

It is not a race.

Just try your best to do a little bit each day and try not to compete with others on the forum.

Hope that helps!

Hello and welcome to the freeCodeCamp community,

This is a very important thing to keep in mind. Learning to program isn’t something you can rush - it takes time and investment and grit. And it’s certainly not something to prioritise over the rest of your life needs.

My recommendation is to assess if you can set aside a small chunk of time, even just an hour, to dedicate to coding. I briefly had children in my life, and during that period I found that shifting my sleep schedule a bit allowed about an hour or so after they went to bed where I could be productive and focus on things I wanted to get done.

If that is not an option, could you incorporate your learning into an activity you can do with your child?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.