Turn recursion into for loop

Tell us what’s happening:

I already completed the assignment but i wanted to know how would I go about converting this assignment into a for loop? I am just curious?

Your code so far

function rangeOfNumbers(startNum, endNum) {
return [];
};

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.125 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Use Recursion to Create a Range of Numbers

Link to the challenge:

Hello~!

What do you think the approach would be? What does the recursive function do? Do you understand the recursion?

Walking through the logic step-by-step should help you determine how you’d use a for loop. :slight_smile:

I know the recursion will call itself until its base case turns false, then the stack will unwind and be pushed into the array. I was thinking about nesting an for loop inside a if statement but this is where I get confused. @nhcarrigan

So what is the output of the function? What would rangeOfNumbers(1, 5) give us? How about rangeOfNumbers(24, 29)?

You do not need to do this. The function can be written with a variable and the for loop. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@nhcarrigan The output of one and five would be [1,2,3,4,5] and 24, and 29 would be [24,25,26,27,28,29] right if your using the unshift method. So, could I decrement the loop ?

You could decrement the loop, yes. Or you could use the .push() method to add to the end of the array and increment the loop. Either approach could work.

1 Like

@nhcarrigan Got it, I will try it out thanks for the help!

1 Like

For anyone wanting to know the output :slight_smile:

let numbers = [];
        for(let i=endNum; i>=startNum; i--){
        numbers.unshift(i);
        }
        return numbers;

};
        console.log(rangeOfNumbers(1,5));