Udacity vs online bootcamp

I am not sure if its appropriate to start this topic here and I hope I dont get removed from the community. Moderators, please feel free to delete it if its inappropriate.

Anyway, I dont have a job at the moment and I am waiting to finish Web Development course to put osmething worthwhile on my portfolio before I can start applying for jobs. And from the looks of it, its going to take a looong time before I can get done.

To speed up the process, I was thiknking of enrolling in either a nanodegree on Udacity or an online bootcamp that gurantees job placement too. I cant seem to pick between the two. Please help!

Hi there
So Iā€™ve actually completed Frontend Nanodegree back in 2015. I can tell you right now that theyā€™ve added a lot of things since then.

Truth be told, I completed at bare minimum because I was working full-time at another job, and I wasnā€™t sure if I wanted to web-development. After I completed the course, it confirmed that indeed I wanted to do it and I took a hitatus of working and studying (took a whole year of traveling around the world).

In my opinion, I think Udacity is worth a shot. I think their curriculum is well-put, they teach you from the grounds up of HTML-CSS all the way to Javascript, and their job-support is great.

However, unlike FCC Curriculum, Udacity does give out all the information for you already to complete the projects. Though it is convenient, I felt enforcing to do your own research of how to complete a project is worth more- you learn how to google the right keywords, which then you might stumble something you didnt know, etc.

If youā€™re looking for a more ā€œstructuredā€ curriculum, Iā€™d say Udacity is worth it but keeping in my mind that (in my experience) theyā€™ve hold my hands a bit too much. So why not do both Udacity and FCC?

Let me know if you have any other questions

1 Like

It depends which type of curriculum are you looking for and which type of involvement you want to have.
Udacity has great courses, great curriculumā€¦ with a soft-approach(as said).
Bootcamps are EXTREMELY demanding, as a time invested and as You approach the studying. Nobody is ā€œholding your handsā€ although you may have invaluable time with a mentor on your side.

1 Like

by bootcamps I meant Launch Academy/Thinkful/AppAcademy etc. Will a Nanodegree from Udacity get me a job? Im unemployed at the moment and want to get it done and over with as soon as possible.

Those bootcamps and even Udacity does have some career coaching. However, finishing a bootcamp isnā€™t going to be enough to get you a job. What will get you a job is for you to actually understand the material, and how long it takes varies one person to another.

Iā€™ve done Udacity (dropped out of the FullStack ND and competed a few free courses). They offer so much in the way of free courses so I think itā€™s better to supplement FCC and Udacityā€™s free courses, as well as other things like Eloquent Js.

When I was just starting to learn to code a few months ago I was big on ultimatums of ā€˜this vs thatā€™. Now that Iā€™ve spent some time learning (as well as too much time lagging) I see that doing multiple things is the way to go.

Front End FCC can honestly be completed very quickly. A majority of the the stuff is algorithmic challenges. Iā€™ve spent like a month just doing Codewars challenges nonstop and Iā€™m at a point where I can complete algorithm puzzles ā€˜beautifullyā€™ according to a guy I was pair programming with at an FCC meetup.

I feel like you can learn a lot more by doing; music in the background and google tabs rotating on a constant, and thatā€™s what FCC is all about. I wouldnā€™t discount FCC just because itā€™s free.

Quickest shot to learning > quickest shot to get a job. Most bootcamps donā€™t hold much weight job seeking and Iā€™d assume nanodegrees hold even less.

From what I can recall, if you signed up and finish Nanodegree and canā€™t find a job within 6 months, you get your money back.

Bootcamps like AppAcademy follows the same structure - you donā€™t pay them until you land your first dev job (18% of your first year salary)

You have to pay an extra $100 /m for that benefit with Udacity, and it essentially preselects people with the initiative to learn things fast. It goes to stand that theyā€™re likely doing things during that 6 month window that makes them more likely to get hired.

With bootcamps I said ā€˜mostā€™. I plan on going to Hack Reactor (which also offers Remote, OP) but thereā€™s a theory that Iā€™ve talked about with people from an FCC meetup that top bootcamps like HR only select people that are already essentially job ready.

I donā€™t know. How did you get your first dev job?

I was part of Googleā€™s Dev Scholarship for Udacity Front-End NanoDegree. I found there coverage of JavaScript not enough to complete the projects they have you complete and the mentorship was aweful.

Iā€™d recommend steering clear of them if you have to pay for it.