Understanding basic terms (Looking for the breakdown)

Hey there,

I’ve been really getting into this site and enjoy learning some code. I have absolute no background in coding but am taking to it pretty quickly I think. My only issue is I think I’m struggling understanding the difference between everything. I’m learning everything “as a whole” if you will which I believe will be an issue later on. Does anyone have any tips or a better breakdown for understanding the difference between terminology/language such as: Element, Class, ID, Input, HTML, jQuery, HTML5, etc.

It would help me in assigning them to their actual function

EXAMPLE 1:
“You can also target elements by their id attributes.
First target your button element with the id target3 by using the $(”#target3") selector.
Note that, just like with CSS declarations, you type a # before the id’s name."

“id” = “#”

EXAMPLE 2:

<script>
  $(document).ready(function() {});
</script> 

^^^^^
The above items are script which is a jQuery tool. THIS IS NOT HTML because …

Throwing a lot at you guys. Anything helps
=)

I cleaned up your code.
You need to use triple backticks to post code to the forum.
See this post for details.

1 Like

Take each of the 3 main foundations for front end development and study them. I would start with HTML and get a really solid understanding of how it all works. It’s probably the easier of the 3, and the starting point. Become familiar with the DOM and have at least a loose understanding of what it is.
I had a hard time with FCC at first because while I had a background in coding, I didn’t know much about html and css. I found a couple of courses on Udemy to supplement my journey through FCC and it was well worth it. There’s always deep discount sales on Udemy, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding a good course for 10-15 dollars. There are plenty of free resources as well. But definitely learn the foundation of HTML, build some sample sites, and get comfortable with it. Then move on to CSS and use it to customize the sites you built while learning HTML. Free Code Camp’s lessons on javascript are pretty solid, I just found the first sections on html/css to be not enough for me, and the jQuery part felt a little out of place for me.
Good luck!

1 Like

THANK YOU ! I appreciate the help

@TheRealAlGore check this site out.

http://learn.shayhowe.com/html-css/

1 Like

The “script” text itself is an HTML element/tag, but it contains code written in JavaScript (not jQuery, per se), which in turn uses jQuery (which is a JavaScript framework).

Btw, I wrote this specifically for newbies to FCC, hope you find it helpful: http://fccnewbiesguidetohtml.surge.sh/

2 Likes

Hey, first off, to address your specific example: what you posted is jQuery, and you can tell because of the dollar sign in front. It handles a little bit of the plain javascript you would normally need to write. For example, the above script in plain javascript would be much longer. It can be found at this link, if you’re curious: https://github.com/jfriend00/docReady/blob/master/docready.js.

I’ll address some of your other questions that were the biggest sources of confusion for me when I first started coding:

• HTML is the formatting language. It tells you what needs to go where. The script tag that you used in your example is HTML. The code within is jQuery/JavaScript.

• HTML5 is the version of HTML currently being used. It just has a few different features and syntax rules.

• ID’s are important ways of ‘ID’ing’ certain parts of your code. It’s easy to confuse them with classes because at the beginning they do the same thing. Both can be used to specify width, color, and other features in CSS. However, let’s say you want all your buttons to be rounded and yellow (you can specify this with classes!), but when you click on one particular button, you want an image on your page to change. Here, it’s important that you have an ID for your button so that you can have javascript change that image only when you click that one particular button.

I think this is a good start, but let me know if anything confused you. If anyone has any suggestions for my definitions, let me know that too!

1 Like

Thank you.

I’ll check out the link but your post helped and is a good starting point for me.

Thank you.

I’ll check out that link and get everything down a little bit better.