Ah, I see your edit. I think the console log suggestion sounds good. I am still surprised how often people suggest that in places I or other newbies didn’t think to use it.
After I looked at all the lessons, I realized the problem did come up fairly early. Since my reply to your last response, pre-edit, is still relevant, I’ll go ahead and post it:
createStore() was explained in the first lesson.
Sure, in the first few lessons, tiny parts, one at a time works fine, but the OP appears to be on lesson 6, “Handle an Action in the Store” and has just been introduced to how to store, state, action, action creator, and, in lesson 5, "Dispatch an Action Event, so he knows that needs to happen for his code to function.
From this point on, all the essential parts of a redux app should be included, so the student can learn by seeing the pattern of how the program works; the flow; It starts with a dispatched action.
In every exercise to this point, the student was asked to INVOKE a function, …
but that was not actually the case. Some of the lessons include all the basic parts of a Redux app, and ask the user to supply the missing part. That is a very effective way to teach the material. As things are, several other lessons are lacking all the parts, which I think causes unnecessary confusion, and they could be improved by one or more of the three methods I suggested.
By the time you get to lesson 13, Write a Counter with Redux, which also omits the dispatch(), you’ve spent 12 lessons learning the parts, and the instructions, (https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/front-end-development-libraries/redux/write-a-counter-with-redux), say:
Now you’ve learned all the core principles of Redux! You’ve seen how to create actions and action creators, create a Redux store, dispatch your actions against the store, and design state updates with pure reducers. You’ve even seen how to manage complex state with reducer composition and handle asynchronous actions. These examples are simplistic, but these concepts are the core principles of Redux. If you understand them well, you’re ready to start building your own Redux app. The next challenges cover some of the details regarding
state immutability, but first, here’s a review of everything you’ve learned so far.
… and then it omits the dispatch()?
It’s a question of when to transition from part-to-part, to part-to-whole, and whole-to-part learning modes. I say: get to whole-to-part as soon as possible.
Well, that was a long and challenging conversation (I was up at 4am…early for me), and that may be only 10% of the work. If my learning theory is valid, changing the lessons and/or the testing might be the other 90% of the work. I will not do a pull request right now, because I want to get through the curriculum.
But I swear, at least one fcc curriculum pull request is on the agenda as part of my portfolio
If theory is not valid, or worth implementing, then at least I learned Redux better by laboring to explain.
Thanks for responding! I do appreciate those who help on this forum, and all the work put into freeCodeCamp!