Unsuccessful in getting a job

Actually I had tried a version without the Pic but it didn’t look as good as this one. If the Image gets removed the circle behind it also needs to be removed. and it looks ugly and inconsistent.

Well, that’s because you used a template, if you want something more changeable you should design your own!

1 Like

Was thinking the same after I was done with it. Actually I have been busy for quite sometime and will definitely look into designing my own, This one also has less space for future Certifications.

EDIT: This one was extremely overhauled so it is quite according to my liking.

1 Like

No offense intended at all, but your resume made me laugh, sorry. Not that it’s bad per se, but I’ve never seen a resume written in the third person before. Resumes are traditionally written in the first person.

Also while your resume might work in your country (as I’m not sure which country you live in), it’s totally inappropriate for the system in the US. Resumes in this country shouldn’t have a photo, birthdate, age, relationship status, or nationalilty (as it’s assumed that most applicants will already be either a US citizen or visa holder). And unless you have a ton of experience (like more than about 20 years or so), a resume in the US shouldn’t be longer than 1 page. Finally, there’s a number of spelling & grammar errors in your resume that would cause it to get quickly rejected in the US.

Also, in terms of content, a lot of the stuff on the 2nd page is unnecessary, and is typically the sort of thing that would be addressed in a cover letter (hobbies & interests, personality traits). And rating your own skills might sound like a good idea, but that can also work against you for your lower-rated skills. Why bother listing any skills that have low ratings? You should have the confidence to list only your most highly-rated skills and dispense with the ratings.

So, sorry but your resume shouldn’t really serve as inspiration for the OP.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for yourRreview & Feedback though it’s very discouraging & non-constructive according to your tone, First of all I posted it to get some feedback so that the OP could get a better guidance along with me. I just wanted to share an Idea on how she can work on her resume.

Talking about the rest, US was never my dream place to work. Actually it’s quite down below my list to be honest.

For the third person language I got some guidance from Automatic CV checkers like Adzuna & Rezscore. You could have just asked me if you were curious about my approach but instead you chose to mock me. If our ancestors would have kept following their Traditions then how could we evolve?

For the language and grammar part I would just like to ask you if you can write proper grammar and spellings for Urdu or Punjabi or any other language that is not your mother tongue? America is not the whole world my friend it’s just a small part of it & majority people don’t natively speak English. I am one of those Non-natives. Thanks for pointing these mistakes out though I will do a spell check of my resume once again.

Talking about skills I must say that this is the part I liked most about your review. I will be resorting my skills and will move less learned skills to learning section of my resume.

My simple request to you at the end is that, Please be constructive and encouraging as it will not cost you a dime. See others perspective before you start judging them.

Thanks again for your review.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I am working on my portfolio webiste.

1 Like

Have you gotten any interview? have you received any feedback from them?

Check out creddle.io for automatically generated CVs (and they look beautiful). I use it a lot and have received positive feedback from HR people.

Another generator is novoresume.com which looks nice as well.

You would be hired on the spot in Europe.

Hi Keerthi,

In your personal web page, the portfolio section (at least) seems to have a few issues:

• Make sure the project thumbnails fall nicely into place at different screen resolutions, check your bootstrap code!
  • Do not use picture placeholders for your projects. That would certainly give you “thumbs down” in the eyes of any HR person, as of today, your portfolio is not reflecting commitment and technical mastery.

I would prepare a more impressive personal/portfolio web page. You might find inspiration and interesting layouts here.

Good job hunting!

Hello

Your portfolio definitely needs some work - it has an appealing, welcoming first section, but the substance lets it down.

For instance, your projects should go to the actual project so the company/recruiter can see what you are working on - my portfolio is not perfect but when you click on a project, you are taken to the project - http://iwillbeawebdeveloper.co.uk/#my_websites.

Also there are blank spaces where your projects are which doesn’t look professional. I would recommend looking at the layout, using Flexbox would fix it, which would only require the following CSS:

.row.no-gutter {
display: flex;
flex-wrap: wrap;
}

would become

All the best
James

1 Like

checkout http://creddle.io/

It is a great site for adding the right kind of flair to make your resume standout. Right now reading your resume you have some good stuff but most of that should be on LinkedIn. Put your best traits on the top half of your resume and make sure to push your experience and your skills higher on your resume. I think your only real issue is the way you are formatting your current resume. It is dense and hard to read. If I was a recruiter I would probably skip over your resume because of the large volume of text.

1 Like

First of all, to clarify my post, it wasn’t intended so much as a “review” of your resume for your benefit in particular, and I instead meant to point out to the OP (and everyone else reading this thread) what not to take away from your resume, since a fair number of people on this forum are based in the US. Because you wrote earlier “May be a Resume like mine could at least get you in the second review pile”, my intention was merely to point out to the people reading this thread why they might not want to borrow too much inspiration from your resume, particularly for jobs in the US.

Second, nothing in my earlier post was intended to mock you, and I honestly don’t understand why you think I did. If it’s only because I wrote that your resume made me laugh (specifically because of the use of third person), then I apologize, and I did already write earlier that I didn’t intend any offense. But discouraging & non-constructive? I honestly and really don’t know where you’re getting that from in my earlier post.

I don’t see how Urdu or Punjabi is relevant to anything when this is an English-language forum and the OP is based in the US, and since you provided your resume written in English.

1 Like

I found these helpful, in no particular order:

Good luck!

2 Likes

Great, Bookmarked the links.

I ll definitely try Flexbox. Thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for sharing the articles. I went through them. They were very useful.

Hi @astv99

Don’t get angry buddy, Just read my first Post again and you will find out that I also didn’t mean to inspire any one with my CV.

See the bold letters below [quote=“nawazishali, post:15, topic:102472”]
May be a Resume like mine could at least get you in the second review pile. I still need to work on the data but it looks cool I think.
[/quote]

I agree to the fact that this forum is mostly used by US & English is a very important Language as it is the third most used language worldwide, I only gave the example of other languages to let you know that not all are native speaker. So people should consider that before judging over the language and by people I mean the ones who use forums like these, As these forums are made to help people & not just for pointing out the mistakes.

That thing I said about “non-constructive post” was only related to the mistakes you referred to but didn’t advise where I could find them and what corrections should I make. I could have used a little help there don’t you think?

And yeah I in the first place did make my resume in First person language but changed it after running the automated tests and suggestions I got from those tests. Am wondering now if those suggestions are wrong?

Sorry if in my posts I hurt you in some way, I might sound like I am fighting with you but this could just be the language barrier, All I am asking for is to please be helpful and constructive nothing more. Even if you didn’t intend to help me with your post you still could have helped others by suggesting the corrections I needed to make. Others who view my CV and are like me in English Language would definitely get benefit from that.

Keerthi,

Are you still working on your Portfolio page? I don’t know anything about resumes and not too much about programming, though I’m learning, but I do think I understand people a bit.

On your personal site:
You should only put completed elements on your personal portfolio page. Incomplete elements gives it the feel that you’re working on it. Working on it is good, but it makes would be employers think you have to spend a lot of time on your portfolio yet and thus less time working for them.

Also, maybe add a little margin to your portfolio section elements. Though that might just be a personal preference, it seems to strain the eyes a little.

On linkedin:
I have nothing. I think it’s good, but like I said I don’t know anything about resumes.

About work:
Some small companies would hire people to do their websites for them. They need to keep them updated, but don’t want to hire somebody full time. Maybe you could approach some in your area and ask about it. It would only be part time, but a few part time gigs would make it a full time job, plus it could leave you time to blog about what you seem to love - fashion. :wink:

I wish you lots of luck and I know you will get that job if you really want it. It’s out there. You can find it. Who knows? Maybe it’ll find you…

Flexbox was a revelation to me, and has been so helpful - this is quite a fun site to help to learn it http://flexboxfroggy.com/

You are super qualified!
In general, i usually recommend to people to try and humanize their CV. Include your photo, some personal information about yourself, other languages you may speak, etc.
People hire people they they like. You need them to see you as a person in order for them to like you.
:smiley:

1 Like