Use the map Method to Extract Data from an Array - Needs updating?

I figured this out but the help section on this is useless and the comments seem to be referring to a different problem? Or an outdated one. Also the provided material has not shown us how to return multiple items while using .Map() as well as teach us how to use a function with .Map(). It just asks you to return a list of names.

// Only change code below this line

let ratings = watchList.map(function(movie) {
return {title: movie.Title,
rating: movie.imdbRating}
})

// Only change code above this line

console.log(JSON.stringify(ratings));

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.135 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Use the map Method to Extract Data from an Array

Link to the challenge:

Hello there,

Why do you think this?

What provided material?

Hello!

Check out the comments section underneath the hint and let me know if I am misunderstanding something.

By provided material I mean the material provided that is beside the code editor.

Not a big deal, it’s easy enough to figure out but most other problems usually provide the necessary information to solve the problem - and if not than the hints section is very helpful with steps to take - and if those don’t help there are usually comments relevant to the problem which can help expand your mind on the subject.

1 Like

You are right, sometimes the material given may not be sufficient to understand a concept fully. If you are stucked, you can ask a specific question here on the forum or read further at MDN. If you want to understand how array.map works, you can read more Here at MDN.

1 Like

Ah, that does appear to relate to an older lesson. Sorry, for the confusion.

Do you have a suggestion for what could be explained better? Or, is the issue more with the example code being a bit less related to the challenge than other lessons’ example code?

I would say the lesson content has given all the necessary information (provided you take on board knowledge from previous lessons, but this is true of most lessons forward).

If you want, you can open a topic on Contributors to discuss a better way to structure/phrase the lesson. Or, do the same to give a suggestion for the related guide post.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I ended up doing. But a lot of the time I end up feeling overwhelmed when I go to MDN haha they dive very deep into each subject but their information is on point.

1 Like

I mainly meant there wasn’t any material showing how to return an object. But I suppose that should just be common knowledge. It’s pretty straight forward but I hadn’t seen how to do that before I actually looked it up. Now I know!

And okay if I get some time I will try and think of some alterations that could be made to the lesson.

Thanks for your responses.

2 Likes