Using Huge Negative Number to Compare

Hello,

I have successfully made a function which takes an array of arrays and returns a new array with each of the largest numbers from the nested arrays.

However, to achieve this I have had to set my ‘currHigh’ variable to negative 1 million to avoid issues with the occurrence negative numbers within the arrays.

Please could someone offer up a more air-tight method that would not falter should -1000001 or larger appear in any of the arrays?

Kindest regards :slight_smile:

function largestOfFour(arr) {

const newArr = [];

for (let each of arr) {
    let currHigh = -1000000;
    for (let i = 0; i < each.length; i++) {
      if (each[i] > currHigh) {
        currHigh = each[i];
      }
    }
    newArr.push(currHigh);
  }

return newArr;
}

largestOfFour([[4, 5, 1, 3], [13, 27, 18, 26], [32, 35, 37, 39], [1000, 1001, 857, 1]]);

you can avoid using a “magic number” here if you adjust a tiny bit your logic.

It involves using a number that you are sure is in the array

2 Likes

There is a concept of -Infinity in JavaScript. But using it here would be lazy. Suggest you think about how you would do this another way.

Just to be clear;

You response to me asking how I can do this another way is to look for another way? :joy:

this is an other way

!!! Null !!!

Thank you :slight_smile:

Not sure how you got that meaning from my answer. I mentioned that you can use -Infinity but that doing so would be lazy. And then I said I suggest you find yet another way. But again, you seem intent on just writing solutions, so pls go ahead and use the -Infinity method if it pleases you.

No worries, mate.

Someone gave an answer that helped.

Cheers :+1:

What do you mean? null is not in the array. I meant to use something you have there. You don’t have null

1 Like

@leedsleedsleedsleeds Just to be clear @hbar1st answered your exact question. Use Infinity (-Infinity) or Number.NEGATIVE_INFINITY if you want an infinite negative number.

But as already pointed out you do not need an infinite negative number to solve this.

3 Likes

You can set the value of currHigh with the first element of the nested array and iterate though the nested array to compare it with rest of the elements