VSCode Extension for Git Commits Gitmoji Style πŸ’―

Intro

I posted a while back letting folks know about an extension I wrote for Visual Studio Code. I started coding here, almost two years ago and I was excited to see that a few people actually downloaded this. Its called Gitmoji Commit and it now redesigned with two new key features.

Code

Source Code
Issues / Feature Requests

Download

Extension Marketplace
Search gitmoji commit in your VSCode editor

User Guide

• The usual workflow is to git add the files you want before this

Create Commit Message

Adds a command to compose a commit message with a gitmoiji. Either press Ctl+Shift+P and find Gitmoji Commit: Create Commit Message or set your own keyboard shortcut.

• The first thing that happens is a dropdown with various icons and a description of their commit type.
  • Typing into the input filters the list quickly.
  • When you find your gitmoji press enter

gitmoji-2

• Now you will be prompted from your commit message text
  • Press enter when done

gitmoji-3

• Now you message will be composed and inserted into the integrated terminal

gitmoji-4

• Press enter and the git push your commits whenever you want

There is also one option. You can change the syntax of the emoji between colon syntax - lipstick and unicode :lipstick:. These are the characters that actually appear in your terminal. I am using bash on Windows and I have to use the colon syntax or the results aren’t good. Mileage will vary.

Gitmoji Cheat Sheet

Reference table of all gitmojis and the type of associated commit.

• Clicking the UI will copy the emoji itself or the colon syntax, whichever you prefer

gitmoji-1

At the end of the day gitmojis are mostly cosmetic but they add a certain aesthetic to a repo. They help me wrap my head around what I have been working on.

gitmoji-5

Thanks for reading. Enjoy the extension. :100:

1 Like