Wanting to be a data scientist again after away for 7 years

Hi all! Seeking career advice here. I got my master degree in computational physics and numerical analysis in 2012, then worked as a data scientist for about 2 years. I had to leave the workforce in 2014 due to health issues. I was able to work again as a tech support for a tech company since 2018. But now as I have completely recovered, I am getting more restless each day, wanting to get back to be a data scientist again.

I have been taking online classes (mainly from coursera) and use the resources here. It’s been going well and I am relearning the concepts/algorithms I once was very familiar with. But I often asked myself this question: how should I present my 7-years absence from this field on my resume? Data science has evolved so much during the past yers. How would I convince a potential employer that I am still qualified to do the work? My current company is a big tech company, so that might help some although I don’t know to what extent, as what I am doing now is so far away from data analysis.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advises!

All you need is just confident to yourself

I have been read similiar stroy like this in the reddit but even more worse than your stroy at the end of the day he still landed a job as a software engineer not data scientist with CMIIW 7 yearsh accomplished bachelor in CS degree with a side job that have no relation about technology or science issue, GPA below 2…

Hey, if you have been destined to be data scientist again why not :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your encouragement! When I got sick, I didn’t think I would be able to work much less working as data analyst. 7 years has gone by since then and I found myself made it through. It feels so wonderful to be alive and normal again. Will definitely keep going. Thank you again for your support!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.