Weather app :D feedback, please

Weather app :D feedback, please
0.0 0

Hey everyone,
here’s my “show the local weather” project: https://virginiabalseiro.github.io/LocalWeather/
It’s quite simple but it does the job.
I might build on it later (adding the possibility to see weather by city, and changing the background image according to the weather description), but for now I’m quite happy with the fact that it works. The background color changes according to temperature, which is not the most exciting effect but whatever :smile:

I’d like to see what you all think.
Thanks!!
Cheers.

Very good design aesthetic and the presentation is very nice, great job. The only thing I’d point out is that your use of the <strong> tag isn’t quite proper use of the tag, and when you want to bold text visually you should use CSS instead. This link has more info: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/strong

Thank you!! I’ll work on that tomorrow and fix it :slight_smile:

EDIT: fixed!

I would have liked to see your source code, but anyway, this is cool :slight_smile:

I would make the temp toFixed(0) to show it as integer

You can right click, View Source Code.

Or here’s my Codepen version:

That’s a good idea, thanks!!

Nice one. For how long have you been coding?

When the page loads it pops up to ask the user permission to use location. Before and while that is happening, I think its better to not have the “barebones” site displayed with no specific information. Show nothing, maybe a blank background…then indicate that loading is happening… then bring up the full display once its ready.

Not long, about 2-3 months.

Thanks! I will fix that soon :slight_smile:

What sources for learning would you recommend?

I supplement FCC with JavaScript books. I’m finishing Beginning JavaScript 5th Edition at the moment.

To learn HTML and CSS by far my favorite resource is this:

What JavaScript book do you have? And can you recommend any good books from PDF?

• Beginning JavaScript 5th Edition
  • Eloquent JavaScript (this one’s free to read on their website)
  • JavaScript : The Good Parts
  • JavaScript Patterns: Build Better Applications with Coding and Design Patterns

I took a look again at your updated Weather app and it has an error that you didn’t have before in your HTML code. I can’t tell exactly where just by looking (but I know you have an error because Firefox’s page source viewer highlights errors in red), but if you run it through the W3C Validator, you should be able to find out.

Also, not really an “issue” per se, but I noticed that you’re using a lot of IDs on various elements. You should try to use classes over IDs in general whenever you can, because classes are more reusable and have less specificity.

Yes, I have a couple of missing ALTs, etc… I’ll fix it later, thank you!!