Web developer no experience resume examples

i watch aguy on youtube called andy he done a video on his resume that got him a job might be worth checking out might give you some tips.

7 Likes

Not yet. I’m still seeking. But I put 3 years on resume, I don’t know it is right or not?

Not sure I understand this: so you mean you literally wrote on your resume that you have 3 years experience that you do not actually have?

4 Likes

Yes, I don’t have 3 years of work experience.

1 Like

Thanks, but I couldn’t send out my resume. What is the best way for no experience self-taught developer to get the first junior to mid level job?

1 Like

I understand the desire to pad your resume with things that didn’t happen if it feels like you don’t get noticed without it, but in the long term that can only lead to trouble.

If someone has 3 years experience in a professional environment, the exposure they have had to issues such as scalability, maintainability, and sheer complexity of codebases would make it pretty difficult to bluff your way through if you did not have that lived experience personally.

You may land some interviews - but how well could you really fare in keeping up the pretence?

You might get an offer - but will your references verify that you did good work with them as a dev for 3 years?

You might get the job…can you really keep up with the expectations of someone with way more experience than you?

To answer your question “What is the best way for no experience self-taught developer to get the first junior to mid level job?”, Randell’s suggestion is solid (you’ll see from my resume below I did a similar thing). The other way is not to rely on resumes at all! Expand your network and use that network to find opportunities that sending out inexperienced resumes will miss.

Here is my actual resume from before I started working as a dev, HOWEVER it was not this resume that landed me a job!

Now, everything on this resume is true. Some of it really stretches the experiences to fit the narrative I was trying to sell, but is all true. I really did write some software in my teaching career - but obviously I was a teacher, not a coder.

The Pairboard stuff was also true. I set up an open source project of my own and managed it - there were lots of freeCodeCamp members from a few years ago involved, and some Chingu cohort members.

Now this wasn’t a professional thing, but we ran it like one. We used CI, we had a good git flow, we code reviewed each other, and had Trello and Slack to keep it all going. It meant I could talk about some of the real issues of working on a team - even if in reality none of us were pros.

But like I said - having that on my resume didn’t matter in the end, because I really got my job by meeting someone at a meetup and impressing them in person. My resume didn’t even get looked at until I was in the second stage of the interview process and by then I was already looking better in person than I did on paper - which is the truth about most inexperienced developers.

I’d also add this excellent article from @asianvader describing the process she went though, going from Zero experience to Professional Developer:

5 Likes

thanks for all the great responses guys

Ive cobbled together a VERY basic resume and would love your feedback on where to go next

2 Likes

Looks like you’re not in the US? I was going to recommend specifying your country, but if you’re only applying to jobs in your country then I guess you don’t need to have that.

Your name should be visually bigger, at least 16-point font if not a bit larger. Also set up and add a LinkedIn. Other than that, agree on condensing to a 1-page resume. It’s way too wordy, and when you’re describing your projects, focus on what business problem they solve. I see too many developers write their resumes thinking recruiters care about the technologies and other technical details associated with projects, but they don’t. A project should have a high-level summary that says what the project is and/or does, and preferrably a link to a deployed version.

Also if you went to a university and completed a degree, don’t bother writing down FreeCodeCamp. It doesn’t really add anything to your educational credentials, and it’s not recognized as an accredited institution.

2 Likes

awesome
thanks for the feedback mate

thanks for the advice mate

Thank you!
Does putting that I speak Mandarin help in getting hired?

1 Like

I don’t think so. It may help for positions in China/Hong Kong (Cantonese more important in HK, though). Or, of course, if it is a position specifically asking for Chinese proficiency. As well, it may make you stand out more in the interview.

Thanks. I’m considering on doing web dev in a place like Dallas where there’s a large Chinese speaking population.

I feel like there’s more demand for bilingual talent in fields like education, for example. But I really don’t know. Obviously, if there’s a job a developer ad that lists Chinese, then you’ll have much better odds getting it than a similar deb job without need for the second language. If you cater your resume to the job ad (match techs, wording, job reqs) then you should be good! Good luck!

Hi ethanvernon, will you look at my resume? Thanks for any feedback…try to be gentle

3 Likes

I’m not from the US so I don’t know how things work there, but I think it’s a good advise to be honest in your resume. And remember that recruiters get many of these, so they’re not going to spend too much time looking at them. So make sure the important stuff are readable and they don’t have to dig through your resume to find them.

And when do you get an interview or a job offer, try to be gentle and kind with yourself. Make sure your first workplace is able to be a good mentor to you. They don’t have to be perfect (no company is) but they should at least be able to offer you the help and advice you need to grow as a developer

Could you guys comment on my Resume? I am a starter myself. Thanks

5 Likes

I’m using your resume as my guide. I’m so determined to become a front end designer I can barely sleep at night. I’ve never worked at a vocation so rewarding. I’m self taught and have been afraid of stepping out due to my lack of experience. I figured I was wrong about the lack of experience stuff. I’ve been building pages for fives years now. Of course you put that dumb lie to rest for me. I pray you are still enjoying much success.

3 Likes

Hi devs! I hope this thread is still active. I’m relatively new to web development, and I’m trying out my luck in any place and any chance I get. Could you give out comments on my resume too? I have two, one with two-columns and the other with just one. I can only post one so here’s the single-column one:

3 Likes

hey, there!
why don’t you create your own thread? you have more chance of getting targeted advice, instead of posting similar things on different topics. If done too much it could even be considered spam.